Lateral engine alignment off to starboard side.

Howard490

Cadet
Hello, I'm new to this forum and new to boats in general. I purchased a used 99 sea ray 185 with a 4.3mercruiser and alpha 1 gen 2 stern drive. I purchased the boat non operational. I have got the engine running and wanted to make sure everything was in good working order. The boat needed the shift bellow replaced, it was clearly cracked. I have pulled the out drive unit apart to replace all worn parts, new impeller, new prop, new bellows, new gimbal bearing etc. the out drive was a little difficult to remove but the drive shaft does not appear to have excessive wear. I replaced the gimbal bearing but noticed when I insert my engine alignment tool the engine is off to one side. I pulled the new bearing and inserted the alignment tool and it clearly has a much larger gap on the right side. I have cranked the engine and it seems to be true. the gap doesn't change. I see no way of making lateral adjustments. I have done the whole, whack the alignment tool up down and side to side with no success. I have unbolted the motor mounts from the stringers and nudged the engine to one side and it seems to be lined up now. However, I will have to drill new holes in the stringers to bolt it back down. Is this the only solution or does some one have another possible fix. It seems if the engine was this far out of alignment the drive shaft and u-joints would have severe wear. Any help is much appreciated. thanks.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
have unbolted the from motor mounts and nudged the engine to one side and it seems to be lined up now.

Howdy

There should be no issue with a lateral adjustment if everything is correct. Basically the transom assembly is mounted parallel to the transom and perpendicular to the motor. The rear mounts are bolted in place and the only adjustment is up and down. The motor can go into a twist if one mount is adjusted more then the other.

Things that can cause the lateral offset is rear mounts on the transom plate, and the boats transom being soft

Howard490

Cadet
The front engine mounts appear to be equally adjusted. Would a twist throw the lateral alignment that far off? I couldn't even get the alignment tool in the splines. Vertical alignment seems to be spot on. How would I check the rear mounts on the transom plate or for that matter the transom itself?

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Usual issue is the gimbal bearing is crooked and not pointing at the coupler. They are a really tight fit. Stick your alignment bar in and give the bar a little whack to turn the bar in the direction it needs to go. You just need enough to start the end into the coupler. Once in the coupler I use a lead dead blow hammer to give it a few whacks - one up, one down, one left, and one right. Then the gimbal bearing should be close enough to no longer be effecting you laterally. The whacks need to be solid, but you don't have to take a big swing.

alldodge

Staff member
Take a screw driver on the inside of the boat, start low under the motor and see if you can push the screw driver into the transom. If you can push it in anywhere on up your transom needs rebuilding.

The rear mounts are on rubber bushings, are actually on the flywheel cover and not the transom plate. See Item 11 in link below
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/bam/subassembly/31490/9021/150

If they have moved it will put the motor in a twist. I would look at spacing between the flywheel housing and the transom plate.

If all looks good, with front motor mounts loose, grab the front of the motor with a hoist on item 11 in link below
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/bam/subassembly/31490/9021/170

Raise the motor keeping the rear mounts of the motor tight and connected. Once raised slightly where the weight is on the hoist and not front mounts. Now adjust the mounts so they are even with the boat and snug. Your finding out if one mount is lower/higher then the other.

Once this point is found, start raising or lower evenly until alignment is found. now if after picking up the motor, you find that it moves one side or the other and is no longer straight, then you are correct and the boat has moved, or it was never installed correctly

Howard490

Cadet
Take a screw driver on the inside of the boat, start low under the motor and see if you can push the screw driver into the transom. If you can push it in anywhere on up your transom needs rebuilding.
Raise the motor keeping the rear mounts of the motor tight and connected. Once raised slightly where the weight is on the hoist and not front mounts. Now adjust the mounts so they are even with the boat and snug. Your finding out if one mount is lower/higher then the other.
I will try these tips this evening and let you know what I find. thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,...... Have ya got a hoist,..??

I just went through this refittin' an ole Hi-Liner 222,....

With the rear mounts bolted in solid, I hung the motor on the front center liftin' eye, shook it about abit, 'n as my Bud ran the alignment tool, I adjusted the motor attitude with the hoist,....
When perfect alignment was found, I built up the mounts to match, glassed 'em in,'n dropped the motor back in,....
It went well, no shims necessary,....

As AD said, if the rear mounts are in good shape, lateral movement shouldn't be there,....

Howard490

Cadet

The rear mounts are on rubber bushings, are actually on the flywheel cover and not the transom plate. See Item 11 in link below
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/bam/s...31490/9021/150

If they have moved it will put the motor in a twist. I would look at spacing between the flywheel housing and the transom plate.

If all looks good, with front motor mounts loose, grab the front of the motor with a hoist on item 11 in link below
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/bam/s...31490/9021/170

Once this point is found, start raising or lower evenly until alignment is found. now if after picking up the motor, you find that it moves one side or the other and is no longer straight, then you are correct and the boat has moved, or it was never installed correctly

Ok so i tried this, the transom passed the screw driver test. I also did a tapping/ sound test and everything sounds fine. I pulled my new gimpal bearing andd replaced it with another new bearing and it helped drastically. I then dialed in the alignment untill it was so close i could pull the bar in and out with 2 fingers and had almost perfect grease marks. I went and finished the bellows and reattached my hiinch pins and new shift cable. Everything was fine so i was ready to put the outdrive back on. I lined up the drive, placed the boat in forward gear, and began sliding the outdrive on only to find it stops when the drive shaft meets the coupler. I tried over a dozen times. Finally i grabbed my engine alignment tool again. And the alignment s so far off i cant get the tool in splines again. How the hell could that happen? It was lined up perfect, i double checked after i tightened my engine mounts. Also the alignment is not off laterally now it seams the coupler is to high my bar is hitting it on the bottom. I have raised the front of the engine as high as i can and it still wont go in.

Last edited:

Howard490

Cadet
The bar was in al the way, i actually marked the bar at the fully inserted location so i would know. Im totally baffled and entirely frustrated. Apparently i have the alignment backwards i will try lowering the front and hope i can get the bar back in smoothly.is it possible in anyway that the rear mounts are allowing movement? Im starting to think maybe i should just replace them to be sure they are good.

alldodge

Staff member
If it did go all in correctly and then move, then I would pull the motor and check out the front and rear engine mounts. If the stringers holding the mounts are soft or the rear bushings.

Howard490

Cadet
Ok parts guy didnt even want to sell me rear bushings. Said they virtually never go bad. Told me he would order them but in the mean time i will try to adjust the front mounts down and find a way to pull the engine back (no cherry picker laying around) and check the coupler and rear bushings. Ill let you know what i find. Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
I wouldn't have automatically bought or ordered either, this is just one of the location areas to check.

Got a big tree nearby

Howard490

Cadet
Only palm trees in my neck of the woods, i think ill lay a couple 2x6 boards across the boat sideways with a 4x4 in the middle and attach a trolly/pully to the 4x4. Should be able to get the motor up high enough to roll it forward.

alldodge

Staff member
Might be a bit safer with a 4x6 across on its edge, but at least a 4x4 without any knots. The 4x is strong but the span is the issue as I'm thinking

Howard490

Cadet
Ok so i havent pulled the motor yet, but i might not need to. After looking at it more last night i found my port side rear motor mount was about one turn to loose. I also discvovered the gimbal bearing some how got knocked way out of alignment, im guessing when i tried to put the drive back on. I realigned everything, bar goes in smoothly with 2 fingers. However, i still cant get the drive back on. I fought with it for hours last night. I can get the drive shaft through the bearing, and part way into the coupler. I am aligning the shift cable to the hole it goes in on thr drive, the boat is in forward gear and i am keeping the prop engaged and turn it slightly to try and engage the splines. Nothing i do works. I cant see any obstruction. It appeared to be catching on the bellows sleeve/ring. So i filed the edge down but didnt seam to help. The alignment appears to be great. Any suggestions?

alldodge

Staff member
Turning the prop to move the drive shaft is the way to do it. It should go on, unless somehow the coupler splines have a burr on them

Howard490

Cadet
Im about ready to shove a stick of dynamite in the coupler. My neighbors must think im nuts with all of the cursing last night. At least it sounds like im doing it right then, ill give it another shot tonight. Thanks

Howard490

Cadet
Ok just wanted to post an update for anyone with similar issues. I finally threw in the towel and took it to a shop. They adjusted the alignment, replaced my bran new gimbal bearing (Im sure just another excuse to charge me 120 bucks) and said that I installed the shift shoe backwards. Im assuming thats the rod that i removed to use my bellows expanding tool. Even after that they said it was still a little difficult tto install the drive.
They also did an annual service (oil change, tune up, new water seperator, fuel filter, adjusted shift linkage, and refilled gear oil and multi point inspection), repaired a solinoid for the trim and drained old fuel from my tank and refilled. All for the low price of 1000 bucks. But the boat is finished and running beatifuly and they did rush to get me done in 2 days. Thanks to all who helped.