My first experience with hydrolock

BugsyK

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys, I believe I hydrolocked my Mercruiser 4.3 yesterday. I pulled all the plugs and there was water in the plugs on the left side only. I just want to verify what I do next is correct. Disconnect coil and spin motor a few times, change oil and filter and replace plugs? It would make sense to lubricate the cylinders but I'm not sure how I would get lubricant in there. Thanks for any help.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
remove the hose from that manifold and drain the manifold, direct the hose into the bilge and run engine to dry the cylinders ,no more than 20 seconds at a time
letting the rubber parts cool. After about 3 runs, heavily fog the motor untill it stalls.

BugsyK

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you. I apologize but what do you mean by heavily fog the motor?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Engine fogging spray "Engine Stor", it will coat everything in a oil film to help prevent rust .If you salt water you have 24-36 hours to get it done .

BugsyK

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks again for your help. My boats on a lift over fresh water. This doesn't matter now, it wont even turn over with the plugs out. So, I imagine I've done some damage to the motor or fried the starter. I'm in Florida and its 8:45 in the evening now. Should I put the spark plugs back in or is it safe to leave them out overnight. This is all foreign to me. I'm completely comfortable working on cars but this is obviously a different animal.

BugsyK

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks man, I'll pick up a starter tomorrow and see what's up.

BugsyK

Seaman Apprentice
No I'm not sure. Is there a laundry list of things you can suggest?

alldodge

Staff member
From what I'm reading, you cranked the motor over many times. Without the motor starting and recharging the battery, the bat may just need recharging. Get a voltmeter and measure it, should read 12.6V or so.

What is it doing, turn the key and just hear a click or groan and little movement?

BugsyK

Seaman Apprentice
I guess at this point it might help you guys out if I tell you how it got to this point. I have a 2004 20' Mariah, boat ran great all weekend At the end of the day I shut it off near the middle of the lake and it deisealed for about 5 seconds, I hung out for about 45 minutes and when I tried to start it, it turned over a couple times then just clicked. Some other folks were nice enough to tow me in and it probably took 15 minutes. It never occurred to me the motor could be hydrolocked so like an idiot I tried to start it again when I got back home. It turned over maybe once and that was it. When I pulled the plugs I didn't notice a lot of water coming out of the head but when I shook the plugs water came out. Oil on the dipstick looks fine.

BugsyK

Seaman Apprentice
I probably tried to crank it 5 or 6 times yesterday. Once it started to just click I quit. Currently the same scenario, it just clicks. The battery is about a year old and I charged it overnight but I'll put a voltmeter on it tomorrow and check it out.

alldodge

Staff member
It could be coincidence but could also be corrosion on cables. Starters usually don't just die, it could happen, but let us know what you find

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
And you could be hydrolocked again, remove ALL the spark plugs to see what squirts out.
Worst case scenaro is the cold water rushing in popped a valve and in dropped into a cylinder

BugsyK

Seaman Apprentice
Ok, battery checks out fine. Still just get 1 click when i turn ignition. You wouldn't think it would take much to turn over a motor with no spark plugs in it.

alldodge

Staff member
There is a slave solenoid on top the motor. It has four wires on it, you want to jump across the two large terminals on top. Once lumped the starter should engage and crank the motor.
Slave Relay 89-96054T.jpg

gtfireftr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Put a socket and ratchet on the crankshaft bolt and see if you can spin the engine manually..... That will let you know if you have an issue with the motor being locked up...

BugsyK

Seaman Apprentice
I didn't know GM had a solenoid separate from the starter. On older card they were attached to the starter. I'll give that a try but it will have to wait till tomorrow. Rainin, lightning, and lost my internet service. It crossed my mind to try to turn the motor by hand. Thanks guys.

Bondo

Staff member
I didn't know GM had a solenoid separate from the starter.

Ayuh,.... It ain't GM, it's a Boat,....

The key is along ways from the motor, to much voltage drop,.....