Lower Shift cable help

Davdadon012907

Recruit
I'm installing a lower shift cable on alpha one. When trying to tighten the cable down it won't spin freely to tighten in the bell housing. I have resistance. Can anyone tell me what is causing this?

Davdadon012907

Recruit
I'm replacing my lower shift cable on my 77 stingray. It had the old style n I'm replacing it with the new style. I got all the way to the part where I have to tighten the cable in the bell housing but the cable won't spin with the nut that's built onto it. There is alot of resistance!!? Can anyone tell me what is hanging me up please??

Davdadon012907

Recruit
I did but it kept wanting to rewind so to speak. N I don't want to damage it. Shouldn't it spin freely?? The only thing it touches is the cable bellow?? Correct??

JoLin

Vice Admiral
No, it doesn't spin freely. The nut that screws into the bell housing is attached to the cable. The cable sheath is long, stiff and has a curve in it (the 12-year-old me is dying to come out right now!). It'll keep trying to unscrew itself until the nut is finally seated. If you have a friend, he/she needs to stretch the cable out and (try to) turn it counterclockwise while you're spinning the wrench clockwise. DON'T try to route the cable in the engine bay until AFTER you've wrenched it down. Hopefully you haven't clamped the bellow yet- if you did, detach it so it can spin with the cable.

I did it alone on 2 drives a couple of weeks ago. I stretched the cable out as straight as I could in the engine bay, and just went for it. After the nut was seated, I went back and gently bent/worked the cable around the route I needed it to follow.

My .02