1988 4.3 Merc 2bbl carb issue

JBC118

Seaman
I just realized why my electric choke isn't closing. The top of the carb where the butterfly plate opens and closes is out of round. I would rather not buy a new carb so I would ask for any suggestions you guys may have.

alldodge

Staff member
I just realized why my electric choke isn't closing. The top of the carb where the butterfly plate opens and closes is out of round. I would rather not buy a new carb so I would ask for any suggestions you guys may have.

You sure its out of round or the butterfly has moved on the shaft, or maybe the shaft is bent? Its held there by a couple screws.

JBC118

Seaman
I guess I'm not certain, I'm getting this second hand from the Merc mechanic on the phone..
He mentioned something about someone tightening the flame arrester too tight which caused the problem.
I'm having these guys do my water pump because I just don't have time to work on it and they discovered the carb problem.
I will attest that it is quite coldblooded at the dock but eventually warms up.
Bought the boat last fall.

alldodge

Staff member
Don't see the flame arrestor bending the body of the carb, they may just not want to mess with it so they say you need a new carb. If its like most shops there hourly rate will eat up the price of a rebuilt carb real quick anyway

thumpar

Admiral
I would find a new mechanic. They sound full of crap. Take some calipers and go around the throat of the carb. A rebuild kit is cheap and easy to install.

Last edited:

JBC118

Seaman
This is an update from this post. To make a long story short, the carb choke plate was a bit sticky. I worked at it for a little bit and I was able to free it up. I adjusted the electric choke (which works well) and now it idles at the dock perfectly.
Win!