Dead on the water

johnkom

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks so much for the follow up, Joe. I learned more than I ever hope to have to use. Love your boat's design. Thanks again.

Where do you usually boat?

JK

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Just wondering, was that the way it looked After the transom replacement or before? If after, WOW!

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
so they broke bolt drilled and used 1/4 all thread? I'm not one for suing folks but omg you deserve a refund for the crappy workmanship , also looks like they installed new bearing yet never greased it? and then alignment was off so that compounded the problem ....man I feel for you this is why I do everything myself I just don't trust people anymore .

Pusher

Lieutenant
You might ask for a refund and tell him the first thing you'll do is give a very honest google business review. He should know how much that could cost him.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
so they broke bolt drilled and used 1/4 all thread? I'm not one for suing folks but omg you deserve a refund for the crappy workmanship , also looks like they installed new bearing yet never greased it? and then alignment was off so that compounded the problem ....man I feel for you this is why I do everything myself I just don't trust people anymore .

pretty much yes to all except the alignment was apparently spot on, just didn't bolt down the mounts so essentially yes the alignment was off every time I hit the throttle. There are just some things I cannot do or don't have the time. I just want to go boating...

And if you look close that already is already about 20% rusted thru. Would have been a couple years before the inevitable.

I've never sued and don't generally agree with it but I am leaning towards it this time. This is not just poor quality this is asinine.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Wow! Joe that is allot of bad piled on top of bad piled on top of a really bad job. I'm not sure I wouldn't be spending a little time at there shop entrance with all my broken cobbled up parts playing show and tel with any new clients they may have.

But as the Admiral tells me all the time " You're the mean SOB nobody wants to see pulling into their parking lot with a problem! ":mad2:

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
That type of workmanship is totally unacceptable. It would never fly at our marina, I'd get fired, and every one else who touched it. I wouldn't even do that kind of work on my worst enemy. I'd be back there, and see the manager/owner of the place, and carefully state your opinion, if they brush ya off, get a lawyer.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Iif I did the sue/ask for money how to approach? What I spent with him, or what I spent to repair, or both? I did upgrade a couple things with the new place (which I would have paid for at the old if they had been honest with me) that I will need to deduct.

Tnstratofam

Commander
You paid them for a proper repair each time however you did not receive repair work of any real value. Also their poor workmanship on what should have been routine repair work led to more damage that you had to pay someone else to fix along with redoing what their original work was. I say sue for full reimbursement of both repair jobs. A good judge will hopefully see it as their fault for the additional repairs as well as the lack of value in what they originally did. A mediocre judge may only make them refund you for the work they did.

The real question is how much does filing a claim against them in small claims court and the potential time you may miss from work to deal with the added agravation of court compare to the total out of pocket expenses you've had up to this point. Not to mention if you do win your case how big of an aggravation is collecting from them going to be?

I really hate shoddy workmanship. I respect people a whole lot more when they tell me they can't do a job instead of doing bad work because they're either too lazy or inept to do the job right the first time. Not knowing the right way to do something when you run a business doesn't sit well with me either. If you don't know the proper way of doing a job don't advertise you can do it.

Good luck Joe.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Yeah this place has been around for 20+ years can't believe they get away with this. Over the last 6 years I've been using them there has been little things, like hydraulic hoses not fully tightened but i always put that off. Plus when I was having stalling issues and several times on the leak chase after the transom repair they never charged when I brought it back. I only paid once for any repair even if complete the second or third time. Or never repaired I guess...

This repair of these 'repairs' was pushing $4k, including up to the upgrade to Alpha. If I'm not travelling I'm working form home and pretty flexible schedule, although I have applied for a new job that would probably keep me busier than I am used to so dunno. May just have my lawyer send a letter with all my documentation and see where that leads.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Reporting back.

Three days and nights on the water, close to 100 miles covered on the river and the total water drained after getting her on the trailer was about an eighth of a cup. Compare to about a gallon per hour running and i say this is a win. What i did get was probably from beer cooler slosh. Plus, not sure what replacing gimbal assembly up to an alpha would do here but previous WOT was 36.3 and today coming in i hit 40.3.

Have a prob carb issue i believe more about that in another thread but just felt so dam nice to run it and not worry.