Transom rebuild questions

Doneysitdown

Seaman Apprentice
I've got an alpha 1 gen 1. Took my out drive to inspect it and found that my u joint bellows. had a little water in it. I've been reading and it sounds like it's time for a transom rebuild. Ie gimbal bearing, all the bellows and water hose. My question is if any one has used the sei, Sierra or other brand rebuild kits or just go with oem. Also tips on changing, what to look out for and special tools needed. Any other tips are appreciated. Thanks in advance

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
and special tools needed. Any other tips are appreciated. Thanks in advance

hinge pin tool or a 1/2 inch allen wrench, a good torch to loosen the loc-tite, 1/4 inch socket set and a universal joint
AND LOTS OF BEER

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Yes bellows adhesive.I like OEM,its all Ive used before and I didn't have a problem. The old race mounted on a 2x4 is a good bearing driver.Need alignment tool to line up the bearing for setting alignment. Use a pair of Wally world BBQ tongs with the ends bent 90deg out for exaust bellows.Trial fit to see how everything will go together before applying adhesive.

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer
I use blue loctite not red. I've also used auto weather strip adhesive 3m or permitex.

Doneysitdown

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the great input guys. Got my transom stripped all the way down. Still have to pull the gimbals bearing. I do have a question on shift shaft.
The shaft that goes through the exhaust passage, does that have a replaceable seal? It seems to me that the shaft has to much play in it

tmaranda

Cadet
Yes bellows adhesive.I like OEM,its all Ive used before and I didn't have a problem. The old race mounted on a 2x4 is a good bearing driver.Need alignment tool to line up the bearing for setting alignment. Use a pair of Wally world BBQ tongs with the ends bent 90deg out for exaust bellows.Trial fit to see how everything will go together before applying adhesive.

Woah, brilliant. Where were you last year when I was fighting with that darn thing??

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Only ever used one non-genuine bellows. Way too hard to get on compared to OEM... And adhesive is not optional, it's compulsory, both ends.

Chris........

Scott06

Vice Admiral
You can also use a 3" such 40 PVC sewer pipe to drive the gimbal bearing on with, it's a good match to the beating OD.

Doneysitdown

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Is this the right kit. Are they both right. I like the fact that the sierra kit includes a greaseable gimble bearing. However oem is best. What do the experts think?

Attachments

• photo243236.png
    photo243236.png
    249.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo243237.png
    photo243237.png
    151.8 KB · Views: 0

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I prefer the greaseable bearing, but oem bellows myself. I'm fortunate enough to be able to acquire bellows and bearing separately rather cheaply from my workplace.

achris

Nothing wrong with sealed gimbal bearings. Mine's 10 years old now and is no trouble. My old engine has sealed unis, 22 years and still going, over 2,000 hours. Don't know what this fascination with greaseable bearings is? Throw away the grease gun and be thankful for it I say.....

Chris.........

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Nothing wrong with sealed gimbal bearings. Mine's 10 years old now and is no trouble.

Chris.........

Sealed everything!

When they invented materials that would seal a ujoint or a bearing, we stopped having to spent 45 minutes greasing our cars and trucks every 6 months. Yeah! Grease zerk is dead. Long live the grease zerk.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
True. My old 56 Chevy original owners manual calls for greasing everything something like every 1000 miles or something crazy like that.

With a newer car how many have ever greased anything at all?

I too like the sealed bearings.

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Chris,in #11 did you mean that you have only used non-OEM once?

achris

Chris,in #11 did you mean that you have only used non-OEM once?

Correct. Found it so hard to get on I ended up tossing it in the bin and using genuine. It was a Sierra too.