COOLING ISSUE WITH 1976 CHRIS CRAFT. HELP PLEASE!!!

fish4boats

Seaman
I took pictures of everything I need help with and the parts so you can see them.
The boat started overheating all the sudden. It sat for about a year or so before I bought it. In putting it in the water the first time it got hot when trolling for long periods of time. It now gets hot almost right away. In pulling the top part of the water housing off the thermostat was laying inside in two pieces. I pulled it out and put the housing back together." I'm not sure if it will run without a thermostat" ?
After finding it still got hot I pulled everything apart. In doing so I found two thermostats in the risers that did not work by testing them in a pan of boiling hot water. They did nothing.
My questions.
1. What thermostat do I need ? Old says v142-21 k6
2. The thermostats in the risers. Which ones are they and do they need to be there?
3. Where can I find gaskets for all of these parts and can anyone find me the part numbers?
Thank you so much

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy

and Gee wiz, this motor needs an over haul just to get all the crud and rust out of it.
img.jpg

When was the last time the impeller was changed?

fish4boats

Seaman
I'm working on cleaning everything. I will not be putting it back together like it is

alldodge

Staff member
You posted this in two forums, Merc and VP, what motor is it? My guess is it might even be a crusader.

Is the a V drive or stern drive?
When was the raw water impeller replaced?

It's a 1976 but is it a V8 or something else?

fish4boats

Seaman
It's a Chris Craft Cruiser. As I'm researching I'm finding that it seems to be a crusader engine. It's a v8. I did not get any documentation on it when I bought it. I found the end cap riser gaskets and the gaskets for the thermostats in the risers but I'm having trouble find the thermostats all the way around. I took pics of the outdrive.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Being a VP AQ drive ,why cant you use the manifolds and risers for the volvo engine

fish4boats

Seaman
What do you mean. I have everything already just having trouble tracking parts. I going to be cleaning all of the parts I have dipping and painting them

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
you can never remove all the corrosion in a riser or manifold. The scale you remove was once cast iron in the manifold. The more scale is removed the thinner the walls get and soon you have water in the engine.Vovlo Penta uses GM motors like yours. It is a generic gm motor with Crusader clothes. Paint it black and put mercruiser equipment on it and its a mercruiser. Paint it blue and is a Crusader. Paint it red and its a Volvo Penta.
The manifolds and risers should match the exaust Y pipe unless you have thru hull exaust.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg
aadd the correct therm housing and update to a better cooling system

fish4boats

Seaman
Wish I had all that money. That might be a thing for next year maybe but I'm trying to stay original

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
there should be a water pump mounted to the harmonic balancer, did you replace the impeller in it ?

fish4boats

Seaman
Yes I did. Would it overheat with no thermostat in it. ? I took it out because it was in pieces.

alldodge

Staff member
Yes I did. Would it overheat with no thermostat in it. ? I took it out because it was in pieces.

Your motor is clogged up with all kinds of stuff. All the pieces of the impeller went into the motor and are causing issues along with everything else that has come loose. Might even have things going on with the inlet side of the drive

alldodge

Staff member
Something is not moving the water through the block. You stated:
In putting it in the water the first time it got hot when trolling for long periods of time. It now gets hot almost right away.

So it's now getting hot right away, which means the water is not making it into the motor, or thru the motor. It could be the impeller housing is worn out and needs replaced, something is not right. Something is clogged, either the water cannot be drawn in or it cannot be pushed out