5.7 compression test gone bad

uncleslam

Cadet
Just did a compression test on 2003 Black Scorpion motor. Was really hoping to buy this vdrive inboard with 190 hours on it, but had to walk away for now. Owner changed all the plugs last week. I looked at it after he got it out of storage a few weeks ago, and at that time the oil was quite black, but good consistency and smell, as far as I could tell. He said it was a year old. He changed the oil and plugs, and we went for a test drive today. Boat performed very well for 15 minutes on the water, perfect temps and oil pressure on the gauges. Maybe just a tiny bit rough at times, but chalked that up to old gas.

Did the compression test on the dock, could not access the injector harness plugs and he did not know if it had a fuse box, so we decided to check one bank at a time without unplugging the MPI system (hope that was not a mistake?). We did ground the coil wire to the motor mount. The first 4 plugs on the starboard side looked great, new plugs, 160 to 180 psi. Putt the wires back on, started the boat, let it run for a minute, and moved to the other side. Pulled first plug and it was covered with black soot, not oily or smelly as I recall. I pulled the other 3 on that side - two inner plugs looked great, two outers were both black and sooty. Checked the compression on the two outers first, one was 150-155 and the other was 180. Decided then and there, I would need a marine mechanics perspective/inspection. At this point, the engine alarm started going off and we heard a squeal when cranking, so did not get to test the inner two on that side. I felt really bad though. But wonder if the alarm was related to low oil pressure, and the squeal did not make sense at all. Any advice from experienced mechanics appreciated.

alldodge

Staff member
Depending on how long the key was on and not running it could be from oil pressure. If it was running then it would be Oil, temp (water or exhaust), lube (stern drive), overspeed (probably not). I would find a scanner to check for codes

Better to unplug the coil instead or grounding the lead. If the PCM does not get pulses from the coil it won't let the injectors fire

As for the squeal, those are always tuff using print to explain. Was the squeal during cranking or running?

uncleslam

Cadet
Thanks for the info. After testing the starboard 4 cyls, we ran it for a minute (fine), then we did about 20-25 cranks (testing two outer cylinders for compression on the port side) before the alarm came on, so maybe it was low oil pressure. The battery was starting to get low by this time, so I put the plugs back in (did not bother checking compression on the two middle cylinders) and put the wires on (triple checked the wires were on the correct plugs). He cranked it and it fired a bit. but was squealing (could have been the alarm come to think of it). He was pretty mad at that point and shut it down. Said he never had any problems until now. But if all the plugs were brand new why would just two plugs be black?

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer
Did he do the wrenching or did u? The squelling could be a lose altonator belt.

alldodge

Staff member
If it was an alarm, it could be from oil but could also be low battery.

The two plugs turning black with the little time would probably be valve seals would be my first thought. With only 190 hours that might be do to lack of maintenance also (you mentioned the oil was black prior)

Being a V drive it could also be an issue with the trans

uncleslam

Cadet
If it was an alarm, it could be from oil but could also be low battery.

The two plugs turning black with the little time would probably be valve seals would be my first thought. With only 190 hours that might be do to lack of maintenance also (you mentioned the oil was black prior)

Being a V drive it could also be an issue with the trans

Valve seals is a good guess. And just a low battery might cause the alarm, good to know. Lets say he changed the oil a year ago, then ran it 20-30 hours over the season. Doubting that would be enough to make the oil black unless something was wrong. I did'nt feel good about the spread of 150-155 to 180 compression either. I felt so bad that I just handed him $100 for his time. Too bad, because it was otherwise a very nice Sanger V210 in really good condition. They are hard to come by in the Midwest.