Electronic ignition upgrade

brodie123

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi Everyone;

Mercruiser 3.7L 224 L4 I/O Serial # B959792 Ford engine block

I'm trying to upgrade to electronic ignition and I was not able to find the correct distributor - I think now I was seeking the wrong one?

I called Pertronix and gave them the motor specs - they sold me a ML-141C upgrade kit for a Mallory 4Cyl distributor.

I went to install it but the plate with the pickup is too small and just sits on top of the weights and the plastic round magnet has too large of a diameter and does not fit. Obviously wrong unit.

I need to figure out what distributor I have. The only info on the distributor is a sticker that says SAE J1171 Marine which I believe just tells you it's approved for marine use.

Can anyone tell me what distributor I have?
What replacement electronic distributor I could use?
Or, what Pertronix upgrade kit I should have ordered?

thx!!!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Tell them you have the 470 motor . there never was an electronic dist for that motor,only points.It is not a Ford, block or any one elses block. It is a bastard child of Mercruiser. Uses a Ford Maverick flywheel, 302 rods, 460 truck head, 460 pistons..Was in production for only a small number of years

thumpar

Admiral
The unit is the same as the one for a 120/140. The block is not Ford. Merc built it. The only thing that is even close to Ford is that it is based on half of a 460. stonyloam might be able to help. I think he did the conversion on his.

Last edited: