Antifreeze leak at transom

Rocky001

Recruit
Was passed down a 23 ft sea hawk very nice condition. Has a 470 mercruiser 83 MDL replaced pump seals gaskets act put antifreeze in and got down to hoik up water ears and notice that antifreeze was on ground. It is coming from exhaust best place to start lookin?

Rocky001

Recruit
Was passed down a 23 ft sea hawk very nice condition. Has a 470 mercruiser 83 MDL replaced pump seals gaskets act put antifreeze in and got down to hoik up water ears and notice that antifreeze was on ground. It is coming from exhaust best place to start lookin?

Things free are not really as they appear

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard Rocky: not sure if I'm following you, though -

Is this a new boat to you? Is it closed cooling?

If it was winterized and you haven't run it yet, then I'm wondering if the PO didn't have antifreeze in the engine for the winter.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Heat exchanger. Pull aft plug on underside of the heat exchanger to drain the seawater side of the exchanger and look for antifreeze there. May have a bad tube or seam between the antifreeze and raw water sides. If not look at the exhaust elbow gasket.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... If the raw water side was winterized with antifreeze, Southkogs nailed it,....

Mercruiser420

Petty Officer 3rd Class
You mentioned "it is coming from exhaust". leaking manifold/riser? Can you do a pressure test?

thumpar

Admiral
You mentioned "it is coming from exhaust". leaking manifold/riser? Can you do a pressure test?
Since it was on the ground I would think it is out the raw water side not the coolant side. The exhaust is raw cooled.

Rocky001

Recruit
Yea the boat was my uncles they give it to me was prepped for winter. But after looking thru forum's got a lot of good ideas to do before I start it up not really shure how long it has been setting so not gonna take any chances.I am gonna pull the tube and check it just way to much antifreeze leaking out. Was carport kept but setting is worse than running them in my opion

Rocky001

Recruit
I am just gonna kit the lower unit while I am at it because I don't know anything about it does Iboat offer a kit for a mercruiser Alfa 1