Alpha One Gen 2 - Trim Cylinder Hose... fitting on manifold stripped

jkimball

Petty Officer 1st Class
So, while getting the boat ready for the summer doing all of my pre-season maintenance I noticed I had trim fluid leaking from the port side external trim hose - the "Up Position" hose due to a split in the compression collar on the cylinder end of the braided line.

Ok, no problem - I'll buy a new hose and replace it. The others looked fine, and the same hose on the Starboard side is new as well.

I soak it in PB Blaster overnight, and go to take it off from the trim manifold using a 3/8" flare nut wrench and it doesn't break free - but rather rounds off (even with a flare nut wrench)

At this point, I'm thinking oh crap this was my best shot at removing it WITHOUT stripping it, and that failed. Now what? Vice Grips...

Tried them, no luck. The nut's proximity to the other line & the manifold keep me from getting a good bite on it - same story with the smallest pipe wrench I own...

Does anyone have any tips, tricks, suggestions of what I should do?

If I take it to the local shop, I'm sure they'll find some reason to pull the engine "because they can't get the manifold off without removing the interior lines, and can't remove them without removing the engine because they go under the Y Pipe" and I just can't see dumping the $500 they want to R&R the engine just to change a single $40 line...

help?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
It happens, get over it. Not a big deal.
Remove the bolts for the zinc , pull the manifold down, remove the 2 hoses remembering how they connect
remove the rams, remove the hoses you need for access to the stripped one.clamp in vise,apply hi heat and visegrips.

jkimball

Petty Officer 1st Class
It happens, get over it. Not a big deal.
Remove the bolts for the zinc , pull the manifold down, remove the 2 hoses remembering how they connect
remove the rams, remove the hoses you need for access to the stripped one.clamp in vise,apply hi heat and visegrips.

Should the heat be applied to the line's fitting itself or to the manifold?

Is this a pretty common problem given the SS lines/Aluminum manifolds?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
a common problem if the lines have never been removed. Perma-Tex aviation liquid sealant is best for the threads
you always heat the part with the outer threads to get it to expand and plenty of a product called "Free-All"
http://www.freealloil.com/

Last edited:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Untitledtr_zpsc5fcb07a.jpg

Bondo

Staff member
Does anyone have any tips, tricks, suggestions of what I should do?

Ayuh,.... The manifold is removed, 'n serviced from outside the boat, no reason to pull the motor, ya couldn't reach those lines, even with the motor out,.....

For yer problem,....
Cut the ole line off, 'n use a 6 point socket to remove the nut,....