'97 4.3LX New Cap, Rotor, Plugs, Wires - but now weird starting problem

FreeBeeTony

Captain
After watching the video I agree, the timing is off.
Did you use a timing light to adjust the timing?

jkimball

Petty Officer 1st Class
I didn't adjust the timing at all from where it was when I bought it. All I did was change the plugs, wires, cap and rotor.
I'm out of town traveling for work right now, so I dropped it off at the shop so that hopefully it'll be right when I get back.
My initial thought was that the timing was too advanced, but I don't think it has centrifugal advance being a TB V does it?

jkimball

Petty Officer 1st Class
Alright. So I got back to FL from my work trip to MN Saturday night and picked the boat up from the shop today.
And for those who offered up suggestions and took the time to try to help me figure out my problem, which I really appreciate.
You guys are what boating is all about, a community of "members only" who look out for each other and offer a helping hand or advice to keep each other on the water, safe and having fun creating memories.
Anyhow, now that my sappy rant is over. For those who are curious, the verdict was a carburetor that was apparently WAY out of adjustment and was dumping fuel between starts.
So...$99.99 later (1.5 hr labor) I picked it up and she fires right off, runs extremely smooth, idles perfect and even does fm have the notorious 4.3 starting difficulty after sitting for a period of time.
To top it off, today was my little girl's 5wk "bday" and we took her and her older brother out (along with my mother in law for her bday) for baby girl's inaugural voyage!
Great day and happy boat owner/daddy!

Thanks again for all the help everyone