No seal on the water pump???

TheRussian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello again,

I have finally decided to service my Alpha one Gen II water pump after 3 years of owner ship of my 1993 boat (I know, I am slapping myself on the wrist right now).

The oil looks ok, there were just a few specks of something on the lower screw magnet but I don't think it was significant.

I separated the lower and upper halves to get to the pump. What I found was.... THERE IS NO SEAL BETWEEN THE HOUSING AND THE DRIVE SHAFT!!!??? I thought maybe it is stuck somewhere on the upper unit but it wasn't! I looked around to see if maybe somehow it fell out/off but no!

There was no oil in the pump housing itself. (I swear there was no seal though!)

How is this possible? I will be ordering 817275Q05 and replace the whole damn thing. I believe that this kit also comes with a seal the is found underneath the pump. Is that simple to replace?

I am also missing the water passage guide tube :( and the plastic water dam fell out as I was taking the drive apart.

wrench 3

Commander
If you're talking about the seal at the top of the pump there's only a rubber face seal there designed mainly to stop the pump from picking up exhaust.
The seal carrier under the pump has two holes in it that you can put screwdrivers into to gently pry it up put of the gear case.
Are you sure that your the guide tube isn't stuck on the water pipe.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
image_218509_zpsoaepjzvl.jpg

TheRussian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The seal at the top of the pump was definitely missing.

The white tube that goes into the black coupling is also missing and it is not inside the upper unit. I do have the black coupling but no guide. Is the guide necessary?

Also the seal under the pump - is it supposed to be tight around the shaft? I can wiggle mine just a bit inside the seal.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Actually I believe that there is a seal. It is part of the impeller itself. If you look closely at the impeller you will see a ridge on the top and bottom around the hole for the shaft (at least on my alpha 1, not sure agout Gen II) that I believe acts as a seal between the impeller and the housing. That would keep water from coming out at the shaft.

wrench 3

Commander
Actually I believe that there is a seal. It is part of the impeller itself. If you look closely at the impeller you will see a ridge on the top and bottom around the hole for the shaft (at least on my alpha 1, not sure agout Gen II) that I believe acts as a seal between the impeller and the housing. That would keep water from coming out at the shaft.

The Alpha 1 just had a slinger on top of the pump. I think that they just went a little fancier with it on the Gen II.

Russian-
Under the pump it is a standard spring loaded lip type seal. It will follow the shaft if it moves.