Water in this oil or not?

alldodge

Staff member
Remove the exhaust elbow so you have the flat spot on the manifold as in the other guys pic. Get a piece of metal or wood to cover the top and get a piece of rubber to put under it. Then take the hose going into the thermostat housing and attach an air line and pressurize to about 15 psi.

You could be leaking from the manifold and that's not a biggy, just listen for other places

lister

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks very much - that hose you are meaning the one with yellow writing on it in my pic right?
What about the hole in the manifold that would leave? block that?

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks very much - that hose you are meaning the one with yellow writing on it in my pic right?
What about the hole in the manifold that would leave? block that?

No, the smaller hose running up from the back of the motor to the thermostat housing

lister

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

This one here? that seems to go outside to the outdrive?

Attachments

• photo243066.jpg
    photo243066.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo243068.jpg
    photo243068.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 0

lister

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ok thanks, really appreciate your patience with me.
Im taking the hose over a friends house to rig up a connection to a bottle then we'll see whats up.

I didnt drain this properly but I did run antifreeze through the system for a minute or two before the winter. It'd be a miracle but i'd love it for it just to be the manifold!
Say prayers for my boat!

lister

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

So what am i doing wrong here?

I tried a rubber mousemat over the exhaust hole with a book and exhaust elbow on top, also tried as you see here some plastic wrap held with an elastic band.
Im using a car tire inflator connected to the tube that goes to the thermostat and that connection is air tight.
I JB welded the crack that I can see in the manifold just for this test
I cant get any pressure at all. The plastic wrap inflates and I hear the water inside the intake bubbling but i cant get over 1 or 2 PSI which goes to zero the second I turn it off
I hear no hissing or anything else. Is there something im missing that i need to block up?
Is this tire inflator not the right tool for this?

Attachments

• photo243168.jpg
    photo243168.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer
You've got a big ole crack somewhere or a passage not blocked off properly. The plastic bag and elestic will not work..

alldodge

Staff member
In the previous pic, it showed the top of the manifold and there are slots in it. The slots allow water to go up thru and out the exhaust elbow. The plastic you have on top only allows the air to come thru the slots and then go into the intake manifold. the slots need to be sealed up.

Find some duct tape and put several layers across the slots, or a piece if 1/4 rubber mat or so. Open the screw holes in the manifold where the tape or rubber is. Get a piece or 3/8 to 3/4 inch plywood and drill holes in the same position as the screw holes. Now lay the plywood on top and bolt down tight.

man.jpg

lister

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

I'll try what you said if you think this is insufficient, although the plastic wrap does cover it all look:

Attachments

• photo243174.jpg
    photo243174.jpg
    312.4 KB · Views: 0

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
It wont hold pressure with the wrap and band. The wrap and band will expand under low pressure and leak. Any folds in the wrap will leak also.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
block off the hose going to the manifold so you pressure test the block only. Once you test that, then you can pressure test the manifold by itself.

Last edited:

lister

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Pull this hose off the manifold and block which end? Leave a hole where it attaches to the thermostat?

Attachments

• photo243175.jpg
    photo243175.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 0

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Pull off the manifold and block that end. You only want to check the block for cracks right?

lister

Petty Officer 2nd Class
yeah , ill do that tomorrow

Using the a mouse pad and a block of wood screwed down tight I was able to get it to work
Results:

After pressurizing to 15psi.....

After 3mins I lost 1 psi
After 5 mins I lost 1.5 psi
After 8 minutes I lost 2.0 PSI

I had a funnel on the end of a hose and tried all around the block and heard no hissing

and here is the THE WORLDS most boring video of the same...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGVMhHzopuw

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
I don't think your block is cracked, I think it what Fishermark said in post 21, only the intake manifold is cracked

lister

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Based on those results you think? Man I would LOVE that to be true.
So i guess next thing to do is spend $250 on a manifold

I suppose in order for water to get into the cylinders I should expect to see another crack on the engine side of it then yeah?

lister

Petty Officer 2nd Class
right, when i take the manifold off im expecting to see a crack on the other side as well, letting water into the cylinders and causing the water on the oil