Water in this oil or not?

lister

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looking at the oil after the winter. Engine ran fine nice and cool no problems but the oil looks like this.
Would you say theres water in it? I've read that if you have water in the oil it will be grey milkshake and I wouldnt describe this as that. I put Stabil in the gas but I dont think that should affect this right?

Attachments

• photo242780.jpg
    photo242780.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Looks like water in the oil to me,..... Motor, or drive,..??

What motor or drive,..??

lister

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Mercuriser 3.0 inline 4 Alpha one outdrive
Yeah it does doesnt it. So whats first? compression test?

It really doesnt look TOOOOO bad or tooo grey, and it doesnt overheat

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Water in oil does not look gray, it looks like what you have. Only reason for it to look more gray is if the oil was more dirty.

I think you have an issue and something is cracked from the winter

Bondo

Staff member
Yeah it does doesnt it. So whats first?

Ayuh,.... It ain't the compression that seems to be the problem,....

It's the block's coolin' passages,....

Isolate the block, from the rest of the plumbin', 'n pressurize it to 'bout 15 psi, 'n Listen,....

It oughta hold the pressure, if it don't, follow the hissin' sounds to the cracks,....

lister

Petty Officer 2nd Class
:cry: did not wanna hear that

Couldn't be because i put regular 10-30 in it last summer could it?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Was it started, before the oil was drained,..??

Who winterized it,..??

How was it winterized,..??

lister

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

It wasnt winterized professionally but was done reasonably well and kept warm.

I dont know if this is THE problem but I just found a serious crack in the intake manifold
Seeps brown water when the engine is running.

Could this be the culprit or just another reason the set fire to this boat?

Attachments

• photo242785.jpg
    photo242785.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo242786.jpg
    photo242786.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
That looks to be the issue. Also, maybe it's the lighting it looks like the crack was there for awhile. Possibly was winterized to late in the season. Even the best shops can't help it if it was brought in to service to late. Them manifolds crack internally also, letting water in to the cylinders. Another place to look for cracks is under that manifold, on the block near the top where the head and block meet. If its not cracked there, I'm betting the block was drained but not the manifold. Good luck! Mine was the same way when I got it, but I saved it and she's a good runner now.

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer
Sorry but that cracking is freeze damage. Block has froze at one point and likely cracked internally as well. .

lister

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ok thanks, i'll take it off and see if I see any more cracks. at least the manifold is only about $250
What are some checks to see if the block is also cracked?

alldodge

Staff member
ok thanks, i'll take it off and see if I see any more cracks. at least the manifold is only about $250
What are some checks to see if the block is also cracked?

What Bondo said in post 5

lister

Petty Officer 2nd Class
yeah thats over my head, guess ill take it somewhere to be sure

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Yeah, do not disassemble it yet, take it in. Firs replace the oil, Ground out the coil, remove the sparkplugs and spin it over. Then put some oil in the plug holes and give it another couple spins to distribute the oil. That is to help prevent any more damage before they diagnose it. Hope it can be saved.

lister

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The guy at the shop said (on the phone) that there should be no water inside that intake manifold so it definitely means the block is cracked and the back pressure is pushing water into it.

so...... anyone need any parts?
sad sad day :(

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
There is water in there, It doubles as a exhaust manifold, water cooled....Was that a marine mechanic? Or just an auto shop?

Last edited:

lister

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Mechanic at a Marine shop. He said theres not supposed to be water in there (the intake manifold under the carb)

As there water in the oil he said it must be the block

Rick Stephens

Admiral
I believe your mechanic was either mistaken or didn't express himself well. There is a water drain plug under the rear of that manifold. If that plug is not removed to drain water before sub freezing temperatures, your intake will crack just like your picture. Cracked intake, which is also a combined exhaust manifold, can dump water on the intake valves and put water in the engine through the cylinders. More likely though is that the block was also not drained properly before a freeze and it too is cracked.

Rick