Trim Sender Connection Question- Which lead goes where?

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Alpha Gen 2. Somebody cut the connectors off the old trim position senders (both engines) and butt-connected the sender leads directly to the wiring harness.

The new sender has two bullet connectors on the leads. One female, one male. Anyone know which lead (female or male) connects to the brown/white wire in the harness, and which lead (male or female) connects to ground? I want to restore the harness end with new connectors, and it would save me some time if somebody knew or could take a look for me.

Appreciate the help.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
+1 Agree, and will add, the normal wiring method for a ground coming from the harness would be a male end, and hot or coming from the gauge would be female. You don't want the power to be on and ground out.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
dosent matter what wire, the sender is a variable resistor

Okay- the trim limit switch has the same male connector on both leads, so I assumed it wouldn't matter which way I wire it.. Since the sender has different (male and female) ends I thought it would matter. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
It does not matter on the trim limit, but on the sender it does. I guess the easiest thing to do is temporarily splice the wires in and try it, if the gauge works backwards, switch them. It is a variable resistor so if hooked up wrong the gauge will indicate down when you move the outdrive up.

Last edited:

JoLin

Vice Admiral
It does not matter on the trim limit, but on the sender it does. I guess the easiest thing to do is temporarily splice the wires in and try it, if the gauge works backwards, switch them. It is a variable resistor so if hooked up wrong the gauge will indicate down when you move the outdrive up.

Thanks, Terry. THAT's what I thought could/might happen. Yes, I can make temporary connections and check it, but with the boat still wrapped it's a chore to crawl from the ER to the bridge to the driveway to check it.

Thought somebody might know which lead goes where.

Last edited:

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Yeah AllDodge I believe is correct. The ground on the powered side (cut off) would have been a male connector, 12V female. So if you have a voltmeter handy, with the switch off, you can see which wire is ground by using the ohmmeter between the wire and the block, or with the switch on determine which wire has voltage on it. I suspect the Br/W wire will be powered.