R&R Mercruiser 140 distributor process?

adruid

Seaman
I'm changing out the distributor on a 1984 GM 140 hp 181 cid 4 cylinder engine. The distributor is a points type Delco Remy original and getting a bit sloppy. Want to make sure I use best practices and get the old one out and newer one in smoothly. Have been a bit confused about all the talk of "base timing." It appears the EST needs to be set like this, but I have a points type distributor with aftermarket Pertronix ignition. I don't see how these would need to be reset to a base timing, just TDC with rotor pointing to #1 cylinder. Any tips on the R&R and/or clarification of the timing reset question will be appreciated.

alldodge

Staff member
Your motor nor Petronix uses base timing. Just point and adjust

adruid

Seaman
Great! That's what I thought. Any special tips on how to get the distributor out?
Thanks for your response AllDodge.

alldodge

Staff member
I would remove cap, mark where the rotor is pointing. Disconnect wires then remove bolt hold distributer and left it out. Install new one so rotor is pointing in the same direction. Reconnect wires (assuming wiring has been modified), install cap, start motor and set timing

adruid

Seaman
All sounds good. Appreciate your responses: sometimes we get surprised by the smallest details. It's good to know in advance that there are no alligators in the works.