Summerize Boat

rderenzy

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm reviewing the summarize article , the sticky - I used the winterize guide
I'm sure it wasn't included this because, its basic info...but I need that, first time owner here :)

I'm brining my boat home, but its full of the antifreeze I used to winterize.
shouldn't I clear that and refill with clean water(muffs) prior to starting and burning off the fogging oil, etc?
like somehow drain it? or pull one of the pipes/tubes so it drains out the bottom into a bucket?

not sure how, seems like if I run it, the engine will just dump it all over the driveway and into the grass

I'd love to hear any input or direction for getting my boat out of storage...

need to do something w/ the Antifreeze, ill be running it to clear the foggy oil, then I'd like to replace the spark plugs

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if you filled it with PG, it is intrinsically safe. simply hook up muffs and fire it up.

If you filled it with EG, it is a poison and you need to collect it, and dispose of per the local laws in your area

rderenzy

Petty Officer 1st Class
thank you scott - however....
its the PG, pink -40 I think maybe -50
well last year, when I was winterizing, it obviously fills up the engine and then the over flow spits some out, which is my key to stop pumping in antifrieeze

well that overflow, dumped all over my driveway, and flown into my yard, killing all my grass in that area :(
that was just a little bit, now its gonna be like 5 gallons of it

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you did drain your block & manifolds prior to adding antifreeze, correct?

FYI - filling with antifreeze is not needed for freeze protection. Air doesnt freeze.

Bondo

Staff member
you did drain your block & manifolds prior to adding antifreeze, correct?

FYI - filling with antifreeze is not needed for freeze protection. Air doesnt freeze.

Ayuh,.... Good question,......

I couldn't agree more,....

Welcome Aboard derenzy,..... Sorry 'bout yer lawn,... Whatever ya do, Don't splash it, 'n start the motor in the water,....

It'll kill fish, like it killed yer lawn,.....

I care for a small private fleet,...
They all get drained dry, 'n stored in sub-zero temps,.....

Air just Don't freeze,....

rderenzy

Petty Officer 1st Class
ok thanks guys, yes I drained all the water and pumped in the antifreeze just as a precaution I guess

but now its in there and I don't want to dump it all out and wrek my lawn :(

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Pull the drain plugs on your engine with your transom drain plug in. Put a bucket behind the boat and drain your bilge. Go to parts house and dispose of liquid.Drink a beer.

rderenzy

Petty Officer 1st Class
oh my - you are RIGHT!
instead of starting the boat, to clear the fogging FIRST.....i'll unplug everything, drain it
replug everything in, apply muffs and water hose, THEN start/run engine.

lol. so simple I over looked it

thanks!

but I did think the pink AF was non toxic...?
this is exactly what I got and says non toxic and safe for drinking water systems :(
http://www.westmarine.com/buy/pure-...ifreeze-50-engine-water-system-gallon--499848

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
oh my - you are RIGHT!
instead of starting the boat, to clear the fogging FIRST.....i'll unplug everything, drain it
replug everything in, apply muffs and water hose, THEN start/run engine.

lol. so simple I over looked it

thanks!

but I did think the pink AF was non toxic...?
this is exactly what I got and says non toxic and safe for drinking water systems :(
http://www.***************/buy/pure...ifreeze-50-engine-water-system-gallon--499848

yep, pink stuff can be flushed down the drain without issue. Not sure why it killed the grass, I've dumped lots of pink stuff on lawns before without a problem. I tend to spray water on after to dillute it out a little also. (depending on your area, regular antifreeze can also go down the drain, but talk to your water/sewer people first.)

rderenzy

Petty Officer 1st Class
thanks all, yea I thought about diluting it

this can be closed, thanks for all of the help!:)