95-98 5.7l types

Shabah180

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The drive says 2.20. So yes im guessing your right he just said the alpha ratio. Lol

thumpar

Admiral
A lot of the mechanics only see a Bravo every once in a while unless they are a big one. The one shop I used to do my gimbal bearing install even told me he doesn't work on Bravos when I asked him about my current boat before I bought it.

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer
Sorry flipbro, after re-reading my comment it sounds like i was being a smartass. Wasnt meant as a poke.

Guess I should have looked at the numbers be4 I commented. I've got broad shoulders. And can take a poke when needed lol. Good luck and enjoy the boat..

Shabah180

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Do those newer jet propulsion drives have as much torque/ power as the traditional mercuisers?
Curious, my cousin called me and said " heard u gotta new boat! Older mercruiser huh? Ya well im looking at a new yamaha jet drive yadda yadda" always one in the fam who like to one up everybody! Lol!
Guess its like the older big/small blocks compared to new mostly computer engines maybe? Lol

Bondo

Staff member
Curious, my cousin called me and said " heard u gotta new boat! Older mercruiser huh? Ya well im looking at a new yamaha jet drive yadda yadda" always one in the fam who like to one up everybody! Lol!

Ayuh,.... Those are just jet-ski's with a bigger hull,....

Ok, if ya want a jet-ski,..... probably 2-stroke snappy,...

Shabah180

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A lot of the mechanics only see a Bravo every once in a while unless they are a big one. The one shop I used to do my gimbal bearing install even told me he doesn't work on Bravos when I asked him about my current boat before I bought it.

Flipbro brought up an interesting thing, i tried finding it on the internet, but no luck. It doesnt concern me much its more curiosity. Im assuming the 95' 350 mag i have was originally set up for an alpha application. Thats why my flame arrestor cover says "alpha" on it.
I know by researching re-powering you can order new motors set up for alpha or bravo applications.
So my question is, what would have been all involved to change that 95' from an alpha to a bravo set up? Did they even make the b-3's in '95?

alldodge

Staff member
Alpha and Bravo use different transom assemblies. The bravo 1, 2 and 3 use the same upper, just change the lower

Shabah180

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Alpha and Bravo use different transom assemblies. The bravo 1, 2 and 3 use the same upper, just change the lower

Ok so the motor would have had to be modified to accept a bravo mounting assembly.

thumpar

Admiral
It would be the transom assembly changed. The on big difference with the motor itself is the shift interrupt. The Bravos don't use it and the computers are different if it is efi because of that.

Bondo

Staff member
Ok so the motor would have had to be modified to accept a bravo mounting assembly.

Ayuh,.... The motor side is the same, same mounts, same coupler,....

The differences are on the drive side,....

Fun Times

Staff member
The cooling system is also different between the two engine/drive models.

Edit: I just noticed all the corrosion discussions on page 3 and the installation of a bravo transom assembly to an possible older model 350 alpha engine.

You have to ensure there is a ground wire between the engine main ground cable usually at the rear stud of the flywheel housing to the transom assembly bonding wire (Continuity Circuit) like seen in the photo below....If the ground wire is not there between the engine and transom then the transom is not grounded properly and could cause corrosion damage sooner than later due to both the Anode and Mercathode (< if present) system will not be able to function properly.

To ensure the Continuity Circuit is able to work efficiently, it would be in your best interest to follow the Continuity Circuit found under the Corrosion Protection section of each OEM stern drive service manual such as this one for your bravo model for example, http://www.boatinfo.no/lib/mercruiser/manuals/mercruiser28.html#/556

20160504_183927-1_zps6euhxehy.jpeg

Last edited:

Shabah180

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The cooling system is also different between the two engine/drive
Edit: I just noticed all the corrosion discussions on page 3 and the installation of a bravo transom assembly to an possible older model 350 alpha engine.

You have to ensure there is a ground wire between the engine main ground cable usually at the rear stud of the flywheel housing to the transom assembly bonding wire (Continuity Circuit) like seen in the photo below....If the ground wire is not there between the engine and transom then the transom is not grounded properly and could cause corrosion damage sooner than later due to both the Anode and Mercathode (< if present) system will not be able to function properly.

To ensure the Continuity Circuit is able to work efficiently, it would be in your best interest to follow the Continuity Circuit found under the Corrosion Protection section of each OEM stern drive service manual such as this one for your bravo model for example, http://www.boatinfo.no/lib/mercruiser/manuals/mercruiser28.html#/556

20160504_183927-1_zps6euhxehy.jpeg

Excellent advice! Thanks for taking the time to write that buddy. You guys are awsome, if i only had a way to buy you guys a beer id do it!! Haha!

Im going to show my merc tech this.

Is the bonding/grounding system that passes through the units traceable without having to pull the drive off?
Can you see its there in the engine compartment?

This is all valuable information. Could potentially save thousands of dollars in preventative maintenance. Good show!

Bondo

Staff member
Can you see its there in the engine compartment?

Ayuh,.... In that picture, ya see the little continuity strap, from the screw in the transom plate, to the stud, upper right side,..??

That bonds the inner plate to the outer transom housin',....

There's Supposed to be another longer continuity strap from that same screw, that goes to the block, through a flywheel cover bolt,.....

Shabah180

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Maybe that would explain the corrosion starting near the stainless props on the lower. Id like to preserve this motor as best i can, visually its in very nice shape, no oil or rust anywhere, starts and idles really nice.

alldodge

Staff member
The lower unit corrosion could also have started from someone chipping the housing and it just kept growing. Since your going to keep the boat on the trailer your not going to see the same kinds of corrosion most see. If you do keep it in the water your also going to need a Mercathode, which is mounted on top the engine. Again will not need that if its a trailer boat.

IMG_0856.jpg

Shabah180

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Never leave the boat in the water without a battery in the water, it needs to be their for the bilge pump.

The plug in I'm talking about is plug into shore power. You can still have some corrosion but not near as much as if is plugged in. The main issue is the B3 drive and the large amounts of stainless steel with the two props. The B1 doesn't have near the issue as a B3.

As for how fast you will go, IMO your going to easy hit 60 mph and probably a bit more. You have a 18 footer with an 5.7, it's going to move, be careful with it especially if you get much about 60, you could start to chin walk

Maiden launch was last weekend. First run was a little scary, i know what it feels like to drive an old classic muscle car, this thing jumps on plane and pulls hard until she reaches top speed in a blink of an eye. Im guessing a boat like this isnt for everyone! Lmao

Choppy waters and windy, she hit 66-67 mph gps'd on my phone but my rpm's where at 5000, at 4800 she was doing 64 mph. Smart tabs i think eliminated chine walk but i could feel it wanting to. Its how fast it got to top speed that amazed me. 4 adults and 2 kids on 2 tubes doesn't even make it sweat! Haha!
My wife says i used to look at her like i look at the mariah now. 😂
So if i wanted to drop my rpm at wot, i currently have 26p b-3 3 blades, would i go to a 27?