Popped Freeze (core) plug...

bigblock454

Petty Officer 1st Class
Bad day... well SOME of it good. Got my rebuilt outdrive back on, with new bellows, shift cable, gimbal bearing, etc.... all works great... EXCEPT!!!! Fired my "new" boat up for the first time "on the muffs", and... water coming out of bilge drain... FAST!! Quickly shut it down and determined that it was coming from the port side of the motor, around the power steering heat exchanger area. Anyone who owns a 2452 and does their own work knows THERE'S NOT MUCH ROOM TO WORK DOWN THERE!! Thank you to the previous owner for using "anti seize" on the bolts/studs/nuts, as all came apart rather easily... BUT... NO THANKS for NOT winterizing your boat properly!! It is not the heat exchanger leaking, but a popped "core" plug!! Yup... the one behind the port side engine mount. I will press a new one back in... but I'm now taking bets on the odds of everything being fine (no cracked block). Oh well... I guess my "good" luck had to hit a snag somewhere! I will do an oil change (very dirty), press in a new plug, and start testing/inspecting for leaks, compression loss, milky oil, etc. Sad day... taking bets... and advice. I've read that the odds seem worse than 50/50 that she could be cracked. Here's to hoping that the Virginia winter didn't do her in. Trying to prepare for the worse, and pricing shortblocks from Summit, Jegs, etc. Tipping a beer in misery as I write this... any moral support, or encouragement is welcomed! I DO have a FRESH 383 on the stand for another project... Just got the heads back last week! I did not build it with "the cruiser" in mind though, and if needed, will probably just go with a run-of-the-mill 350 from a reputable source.

Sad,
Norm

bigblock454

Petty Officer 1st Class
So... I picked up a 4" x 4" x 8' long post to straddle from gunwale to gunwale. From this, I will hang my come-a-long, to take the weight off the port side of the engine. I'll drive a new core plug back in and HOPE/PRAY for the best. I pulled dipstick yesterday to have a look at the oil. It's quite filthy, therefore hard to tell if there's water in it at this point, so I'll change the oil today, and monitor closely. I've read a lot of posts where folks are saying "she's more than likely to leak under the increased pressure of being in the water than on the muffs", so I won't be going out very far from the ramp during these monitoring stages. I still feel that I got a really good deal on my little 2452 cruiser, but this is certainly a setback. Anyway, the rebuilt out drive shifts beautifully, and all is in place and ready to go back there anyway. Hoping I'm that "one in ten" that the freeze didn't scrap the block! I'll keep all informed here, of course. Hoping to pick up new brass "freeze" plug locally, to avoid shipping lag. Fire away Gents!

Norm

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
good luck. if you have a heat exchanger, the block should not of frozen unless the engine side didnt have AF in it

Scott06

Vice Admiral
If you don't have room to pound in a new plug I've used rubber expansion plugs in the past, not for a plug pushed out but for one with a casting ridge that I was unable to get a seal with a conventional press in.

Hopefully you get no water in the oil.

bigblock454

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok folks... I said I would update... Here ya go... Bets placed?? Did I mention that there's NO room to work around there?? After lots of scraped knuckles...

FP_1.JPG

FP_2.JPG

FP_3.JPG

FP_4.JPG

FP_5.JPG

FP_6.JPG

bigblock454

Petty Officer 1st Class
As you see, I didn't make out to good. After starting up, the oil level started rising on the dipstick and got milky. Ugh. Well... I now know how to pull manifolds and such, plus got to coat all bolts and studs with anti-seize. Looking for a 5.7 (350)!!

bigblock454

Petty Officer 1st Class
smokingcrater - Ugh... Not very tasty either.

Bt Doctur - Very nice of you, kind sir, I will look around locally (have leads on two). I will pay a bit for either one, but will be ahead in the end... at least that's my intent! Famous last words, I know. I had to lick my wounds for a couple of days before I could sit and write this, as I truly thought I would be splashing her last weekend! Add another to the "9" in those "1 in 10" odds that she's not cracked. Oh well... such is boating... yup... "another thousand"!

Norm

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Technically those are not called freeze plugs, and you found out why. They are casting plugs, they don't protect from freezing in any way. In any case, think of this an "unplanned upgrade opportunity!"

bigblock454

Petty Officer 1st Class
I never thought of them as freeze plugs, except by (slang) name only... hence the title of this thread. Thanks though, for pointing it out to those who may not know, I've seen this "lesson" enough to know that, for sure. Was hoping this was one of the lucky ones... nope. in the end... the boat may be though!

Norm