mercruiser shift cable bellow ripped

Mjewell20

Cadet
mercruiser shift cable bellow is ripped up. can it be replaced without pulling the drive off?

Benny67

Chief Petty Officer
It takes 15 min to pull it....you might want to do some reading on the subject to get an idea on what you are in for. It's not a huge job. Use the search tool and try not to get intimidated by the job...one step at a time,pay attention to detail and you will get it done.

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer
If the shift cable is toast the u joint exhaust bellows are not far behind. Replace them and water hose. But yes the gimble needs to come apart.

Mjewell20

Cadet
ive been watching youtube for the past hour and it doesnt look too hard but what is getting me is the plastic tube in the drive. does that line up into something? something videos isnt showing

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Are you talking about the plastic coupling for the water tube between the drive halves?

jasonachord

Seaman Apprentice
I just replaced my shift bellow this past weekend. I did have to pull the drive but I was able to complete the shift bellow swap without removing the bellhousing. I had to buy the specially socket and remove the shift cable housing from the bellhousing after I slid the cable core out. It looked like the cable housing would kink and damage it if I tried to slide it out of the transom without undoing it at the bellhousing end. Once I got the cable housing lose, slid out and the old bellow removed I slid the cable housing back through the bellhousing, inserted the shift cable housing through the new shift bellow about 3" (hardest part of the whole job), put the SS clamp around the bellow, put some bellows adhesive on the bellow and attached it on the transom, slid the SS clamp up and tightened it up with a socked and wobble attachment, slid the rest of the shift cable housing into the boat and tightened it back into the bellhousing with my new special socket, slid the shift cable core back in and reattached it to the shift plate, done. While I had the drive of to fix the shift bellow I went ahead and replaced my impeller, greased the gimbal, u-joints and checked my alignment. Wasn't difficult but did take me most of a day to complete.

Mjewell20

Cadet
sorry about the time span. i lost internet for a while. im currently in the process of doing the repair and ive got the shift cable removed from the engine side. cant get the cable sheath off the drive side. its 1980 pre alpha drive s# 5436045

Mjewell20

Cadet
i am changing the cable out. i was stuck on how to get the old prealpha style cable end out of the drive. i ended up cutting the jacket short enough to get a deepwell socket on the old nut to get it out. now my problem is the new jacket got kinked up during installation so now im out the money to buy a new cable and jacket without the whole kit so i can get this done

Last edited:

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
cant get the cable sheath off the drive side. its 1980 pre alpha drive s# 5436045

Does yours screw in from the forward or aft side of the bell housing? What trouble are you having? Too tight? Stripped threads? Can't get socket on?

If you have the type that screws in from the aft side, simply cut off or unscrew the plastic tube and use a thin wall 9/16" deep well socket. Craftsman 12 point works well.

Mjewell20

Cadet
screws in from the bellow side of the housing. i ended up cutting it today and getting it out. tapped the hole for the new style for the drive side of the housing. then the new jacket got kinked up during the install. now stuck there. do you know if i can buy just the jacket and nothing else?

Mjewell20

Cadet
so now i got the cable and new replacement of the kinked jacket ran. when i put the drive on and the gears are engaged in forward but when i go to pull back to reverse it doesnt go past neutral. ive pulled it off multiple times to make sure the shift assembly isnt binding and its not. the shift shaft is lined up. but the gear shift\throttle control lever in the cockpit stops at neutral and wont move further into reverse. could this just be adjustment issue other then the barrel? with a new cable should i have to adjust the lock pin that the lower cable bolts on to?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Simply replacing the cable should not let it get out of adjustment.
Is there any chance you replace the impeller in the drive?

Last edited:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Al right, heres what might have happened. in fwd the shoe is in a straight line 12:00 ,in neutral it turns to the left to about 11:00 ,in reverse it turns further to the left to about 10:00. When you did the impeller you should have turned the splined shaft fully clockwise(fwd ) and installed the upper unit with the brass shoe in a straight line(fwd) I suspect you are not in fwd gear in the drive and your off a spline or two on the splined shaft. I have a video to post, wait one second

Mjewell20

Cadet
i have all that motion there in that video when the drive is off. the shoe moves it lines up straight shift shaft lines up just about straight. i think you might be right about possibly be off a spline or so. i dont recall making sure it was in the forward position on the drive itself when i put it together after the impeller replacement. i know with the drive off the housing it locks in foward when i move the shoe on the drive i dont remember if it locked in reverse