Shift cable lever not operating with ease

Rbryan94

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi
I have twin 4.3's on Alpha One Gen 1's. All bellows are in good shape. No leaks anywhere. My port drive shifts smoothly like a hot knife through butter. My starboard drive shifts into gear too but there is a resistance. Is it worth pulling the drive and taking a look? Is there anywhere on the shift cable area I should grease. I pull the drives every fall and replace water pumps . I change gimbal bearings too. Boat has always run great. Am I just being picky? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Rbryan94

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks Mark I also have the #6 Service Manual. I was wondering if anybody knows if there is anywhere on the shift cable that goes from the manifold to the drive ( the shorter one ) where it requires any grease? Like if I pull the drive off and put the shifter in forward gear where the cable sticks out . Can that be greased?

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks Mark I also have the #6 Service Manual. I was wondering if anybody knows if there is anywhere on the shift cable that goes from the manifold to the drive ( the shorter one ) where it requires any grease? Like if I pull the drive off and put the shifter in forward gear where the cable sticks out . Can that be greased?

Cable for the most part cannot be greased, so if it is a bit sticky, agree follow Mark's advise and check adjustment. If that does not fix the issue may need to replace lower shift cable