'95 Mercruiser 5.7l Alternator Purple/Yellow wire?

musicmanjer

Recruit
Hi All,

I was doing an inspection yesterday and found a purple/yellow stripe wire near the alternator that was cut and not connected to anything. I checked the wiring diagram for the motor and saw a red/purple wire but not pur/yel. It shows a pur/yel wire going to the auto choke on the carburetor and it tying in with a purple wire as "switched power". Just need a little direction as to what I should do or where it should be connected. .

Thanks!! .

alldodge

Staff member
Something is a miss, the Pur/Yel is the bypass feed for an electric fuel pump during starting. Being you have a 1995 it should have a mechanical fuel pump and before electric were installed. Got a serial number?

wrench 3

Commander
With an electric choke and a Mando alternator it shows a purple and yellow wire going to the choke that starts from a terminal on the alternator to the left of the brush box were a tie strap attaches. image_131735.jpgGN wire in the picture.

wrench 3

Commander
Merc ALT ? reminds me of a VP ALT

That picture did come from the Volvo Penta literature, that's why the wire colours are different, but they also show up on the Mercruisers for a couple of years.

musicmanjer

Recruit
Ok, Thanks guys. The Serial # is 64XXXXX so its a Gen 2 that I know of. I'm thinking its possible that the wire harness was perhaps replaced, because in the later EFI equipped models, it shows an Electric Fuel pump having a Pur/Yel wire going to it, but its just speculation at this point. The engine works fine, but I just know from experience, if there is a wire, it should be connected to something, although in cars, there are extra wires for upgrades/other added systems put into the wire harnesses for things and didn't know if Merc did stuff like this.

NHGuy

Captain
Yep, the TB V with and without knock sensor shows a pur/yel to the choke from the alternator..

Last edited: