Alpha 1 Gen 2 shift cable installation issue

Legacy11

Recruit
I recently purchased a lower shift cable kit for my Alpha 1, Gen 2 drive. The shift cable is screwed into the bell housing from the outdrive side, not the transom side.

When I was removing the old shift cable the brass nut that screws into the bell housing broke off and I had to drill out the old brass nut, so now I have to re-tap the bell housing to accept the new shift cable.

Most of the searches I've looked at refer to a 1/4 inch thread size, but clearly the nut on the shift cable is larger than 1/4 inch. Can anyone tell me what size tap I should use to re-thread the bell housing to accept the shift cable nut.

Thanks much
Legacy 11

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,.... It's 1/4" Pipe Thread, Straight Pipe thread at that, not the usually 1/4" tapered Pipe thread,....

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
http://www.amazon.com/Pipe-Taps-Stra.../dp/B006YISL0S
11U9JLZ7H0L.jpg

andrewterri

Chief Petty Officer
I had to retap a drain hole a couple years ago. I was able to find a good selection at Lowes if you don't want to wait and order off line.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
engine blocks and some manifolds are 1/4 x 18 PIPE thread not straight thread, shift cables use a straight thread

Legacy11

Recruit
Thanks to everyone for the help. It being a 1/4" straight pipe thread explains why I was so confused. Will have to get the right tap and fix my problem.