3.0 not want to start

Claystorage

Recruit
Hello there! I'm trying to fix my 2005 3.0 181 mercruiser... tries to start, thanks to the priming accelerator spray, but visual inspection reveals no mixture being delivered otherwise. I put a clear fuel filter in the line before the mechanical pump, not a big flow when turning over but just enough? Might it be part of the tks or other electronics? Ive got the butterfly plates disconnected from their linkage but trying to open up just kills it. I couldn't see any mixture sent either... disassembled the carb, cleaned 3 jets, new gaskets. Gas treatment in place. Seafoam tried as well in fuel intake. No progress. Any advice would be killer. I'm pre fabricating this thank you!!

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy

When you push the throttle forward are you seeing in fuel go in the carb?
If you put a small amount of gas down the carb does the motor start?

Claystorage

Recruit
Hello alldodge ! When I manipulate the throttle it send gas from the accelerator circuit only (As far as I can tell). The engine tries to keep running but the 'squirts' are difficult to meter properly and did result in some pre combustion. If it was working properly it would be metering with the throttle plates 2-5% open but it just dies when the accelerator pump juice is gone.

Last edited:

Claystorage

Recruit
Thanks a lot Mr alldodge, still fighting with it over here. Hopefully soon I will be able to post a victory video or something! Pretty sure it's a tks issue. Thanks again in the meantime

flyman219

Seaman
You have a mechanical fuel pump so the diode mentioned should not be a issue on your TKS application. Here is a link that might help you with your TKS carb,

http://boatinfo.no/lib/mercruiser/manuals/mercruiser41.html#/0

I had a issue with mine, turned out to be the brass piston that mounts on the TKS module. It was stuck in the bore that it is suppose to travel in in the carb body. the motor would idle fast for a cold start up but would not drop to the warm idle speed of 800 RPMs by closing off the enrichment circuit. All the TKS module does is either open up or close the enrichment circuit (instead of a choke plate at the top of the carb).

I'm guessing that you used a carb dip bucket to chemically clean it and compressor and air to blow out all the passages in the carb when you rebuilt it. Does the motor run if you have the throttle set at 25% at all or does it not run at any throttle setting unless you pump it?

Mike

Bondo

Staff member
tries to start, thanks to the priming accelerator spray, but visual inspection reveals no mixture being delivered otherwise. I put a clear fuel filter in the line before the mechanical pump, not a big flow when turning over but just enough? Might it be part of the tks or other electronics? Ive got the butterfly plates disconnected from their linkage but trying to open up just kills it. I couldn't see any mixture sent either... disassembled the carb, cleaned 3 jets, new gaskets. Gas treatment in place. Seafoam tried as well in fuel intake. No progress.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... Ya oughta get yerself a clean can of clean gas, 'n plumb it directly to the fuel pump with a short hose, for Testin' purposes,....

Yer clear filter is more of a vacuum leak potential, than diagnostic tool,...

It sure sounds like it ain't gettin' fuel,....

Is there gas in the tank,..??

Is the tank givin' up it's load,..?? the check valve at the outlet Could be plugged up,...

The pump should be puttin' 4 to 6 psi to the carb,....

Is there a filter inside the fuel pump, like the older 3.0l motors,..??

Try dumpin' a 1/4 ounce of gas down the carb, 'n see if it'll light, 'n run for a few seconds,......