Mercruiser 3.0 / 140 Engine Knock, Ticking Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

hooligan603

Recruit
I love these forums. I've been a marine mechanic/boat builder now for over forty years and I will occasionally search these forums when I come across an issue that I may be looking to short-cut on and find a quick answer. In the last two weeks I had to boats in the shop with Mercruiser 3.0/140 engine in them that both had knocks. The first was an easy repair, a simple valve adjustment. The second had me scratching my head trying to convince myself I didn't have a major issue on my hands. (I did.) I also reassembled a 3.0 for a customers boat and I'm in the middle of tearing down four 3.0/140 engines we have laying around the shop in order to put one good one together.

While on the forums I found some information that concerns me and I felt I should respond by posting something myself. Now, these engines are known to develop a knocking sound and it can usually be attributed to needing a valve adjustment but let me take this a step further; they are also oil sensitive, you MUST maintain the proper level in the crankcase and you MUST change your oil when it needs it. My concern was piqued when some members said that when their brand new boats were knocking since day one, the dealer told them "That's normal with the Mercruiser 3.0 engine and you should just ignore it." NEVER ignore an engine knock, damage will occur, or has occurred already.

Here are the steps I take when I have this engine in the shop for a knock. (This is assuming the engine is otherwise in good working order, i.e. timing is properly set and not needing a "tune-up".
1) Try to determine where the knock is coming from to help pin-point the problem.
2) Remove the valve cover and check for bleed down on the lifters by cycling through the valves (so there is no pressure on a particular valve I'm checking) and pushing down on the lifter side of the rocker arms. (This is to make sure the lifter is still good.)
3) Adjust all of the valves. (Adjustment is done by relieving all pressure as above, loosening the rocker nut so you can spin the push rod, snugging down the nut until you can no longer freely spin the push rod, then tighten the nut one more full turn.)
4) Remove and inspect the fuel pump arm and the cam shaft where the f.p. arm rides. (A bad fuel pump arm usually has a knocking/scraping sound.)
5) Do a compression test. Compression number should be good but I am usually more concerned with compression differences cylinder to cylinder. I find (generally) if it's within 10% from your highest to lowest compression you should be good. (Check on a warm engine if possible.) This is to check for damaged rings or ring lands.
6) Pull the engine, drop the oil pan and inspect the pistons. Look for damage to the skirts, cracks, missing pieces, etc.. Look for discoloration around the piston pins on the piston itself. This is a good sign that there was a lack of oil and the pin damaged the piston. This was the problem I had on the customers engine. After tearing down the four other engines we have in the shop, two of them also had this damage (the other two had cracked blocks, and one of those actually had both a cracked block and a bad pin.
7) Pull the pistons and rock the connecting rods side to side, there should be NO up/down pin movement.
8) While the pistons are out check the bearings and the piston ring lands (grooves where the piston rings set into) and check for any other piston damage.
9) If you still haven't found the problem by this point then check the cam gear clearance and backlash

By now you should have found your problem. (By the way; STOP when you find a problem, don't continue to complete the entire list unless you need to. Parts for this engine can be very expensive.) (Yes, I know there are other parts that I can use from other GM engines that can bring the cost down considerably but that's an entirely different subject.)

I hope this helps somebody out and clears up some misconceptions.

Ostsideend

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Realy helpful what you wrote!

One in addition, a knocking sound on the 3.0 Merc could also be caused by the alternator. I had this problem on a motor of one of my buddies. I would have raised a "high roller" bed on that this was comming from the valve train, but it wasnt. So check the sound change by disconnecting the v belt to the alternator first.

Sorry for my "ginglish"
Oliver

Bondo

Staff member
I love these forums. I've been a marine mechanic/boat builder now for over forty years and I will occasionally search these forums when I come across an issue that I may be looking to short-cut on and find a quick answer.

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... 'bout time ya jumped in to Help,...... Thank you,.....

3) Adjust all of the valves. (Adjustment is done by relieving all pressure as above, loosening the rocker nut so you can spin the push rod, snugging down the nut until you can no longer freely spin the push rod, then tighten the nut one more full turn.)

I have the same problem with the manuals, as Yer description,.... it Ain't 'bout Spin, it's Lash, the free space,....

Lots, 'n lotsa guys wind the valves W aa yyy to tight chasin' Spin, over Lash,....
Insteada Spin, Ya move the pushrod up, 'n down, when ya feel the space is gone, 3/4 to 1 turn tighter, 'n it's Done,.....

Each cylinder of course also has to be on it's Tdc as well,....

Anyways,... Great 1st post,... be lookin' forward to many more,..... ;)

airshot

Rear Admiral
Great info, thanks as I have the 3.0 140 hp. Mine is a 1983 and all original up till now. Just pulled the head to replace a burnt gasket and do a valve job. If I may add something to your detailed list....this engine is not designed to run at WOT all day long or anywhere near that rpm. I see many boaters with a 3.0 running its legs off for long periods of time then wondering why there engine is short lived... max long range rpm should not exceed 34-3500 rpm for continued running. My boat including the previous owner only runs her at 3300-3500 rpm except for ocassional WOT for short periods to "blow the carbon out" so to speak and a big YES on one important item you mentioned...."check that oil" mine gets checked after each outing when putting the boat to bed in the barn. I have a small bubble level inside the engine compartment set to be level when the boat is sitting in the water, so....when I park it, I just adjust the tongue jack until my little level centers and I know I am matching the boat in the water, then I check the oil level.

hooligan603

Recruit
Thanks for the great responses. Yes Bondo, you are correct about the lash. When you've been doing mechanics for awhile you sometimes assume your are explaining things correctly but, in fact, you aren't talking in laypersons terms. As my boss had said to me before; "I have to interpret some of your explanations to our customers".

Bondo

Staff member
When you've been doing mechanics for awhile you sometimes assume your are explaining things correctly but, in fact, you aren't talking in laypersons terms.

Ayuh,.... Agreed,..... Many to most posters in here are tearin' into a motor for their 1st time,.....

I'm doubly handicapped,....
Been a Mechanic all my life,......
'n I speak Downeast Yankee,..... :D

JerryIrons

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a small bubble level inside the engine compartment set to be level when the boat is sitting in the water, so....when I park it, I just adjust the tongue jack until my little level centers and I know I am matching the boat in the water, then I check the oil level.

Great idea, I will be doing something like this myself.

Also hooligan that was really good info, thanks for the post.

jhobbs26

Cadet
1997 Bayliner 3.0L

I bought my boat last spring. It had sat for 3 years. The PO bought the boat brand new and cared for it like it was his prized possession. 1997 boat still looked brand new. Unfortunately when I went to buy it, the battery was dead and I couldn't hear it run before buying. Risky buy, yes, but I had total faith this guy was shooting me straight. I'm in the Air National Guard, he was a retiring CMSgt (E-9). The deal was good enough for me to buy it without hearing it run. I've been racing dirt tracks for 13 years so I'm pretty mechanically inclined. I got the boat home, drained all the old gas out pulled carb and cleaned it real good. Took it to the lake, it ran good except had a pretty loud tick/knock. Loaded it up and took it home. Pulled the valve cover and found #3 exhaust valve stud had started to pull out of the head. Pulled the head, took it to my engine builder and had all new screw in studs installed. Cost me $75 for the machine shop and $80 for all new gaskets etc. The boat ran like a top the rest of the summer. Anxious to get it back out this year!

Are these 3.0L motors prone to pulling studs out of the head? The machine shop did say one other stud had been changed from press in to screw in, so at some point either the PO had the same experience or it came this way from the factory? I don't know either way and don't really care, like I said, it ran great all summer.

Just adding my experience to this post as another possible tick/knock problem I had with my 3.0L

I have a knocking noise and can't determine where it's coming from. Little history - I had the lower unit impeller go bad and it over heated the engine. I pulled the head and had it checked because water was getting in the oil. Head checked out good and I replaced the head gasket of course. Still getting water in the oil. I replaced the exhaust manifold gasket and elbow gasket and the water stopped getting in the oil. Ever since then I have had this knocking noise and I cannot figure out where it's coming from. I just had it tuned up and the valves adjusted and that was not the problem. It has been running like this for almost 10 years and the noise has not gotten better nor worse. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
View attachment 20240319_171611.mp4

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.