Mercruiser 140 Manifold HELP!!!!

tigger3650

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, background. I was one of those dummies who didn't winterize his boat. To my defense, I am from Florida, where it didn't get cold enough to freeze in the block, so winterizing was greasing everything up, treating the fuel and making sure the outdrive drained all the way. I came back from deployment and immediately transferred to Maryland, in December and we all know what happened next.

Now to current time. I am pretty sure the block cracked in the usual place, between 2 and 3 just below the deck, based on the waterfall of water running down the block when it's running. Best fix, scrap it and get a new motor, better yet bigger motor, dreaming of a 4.3 MPI. Not likely to get the Admiral to sign off on the budget request for a brand new one. Most likely fix in the meantime, see if I can stop drill it, clean and "V" it and temp patch it with Marine Tex or JB Weld.

Here is the problem: I can't get the manifold off. All the hardware came out nice and easy (thinking this was going to be a breeze, then Murphy showed himself). I tried:
-a little smacking with a mallet
-a lot of smacking with a mallet
-a little tapping with a hammer
-then a bigger hammer
-a pry bar
-a crow bar
-a BFH with a 2x4 until the 2x4 was no more
-and all of the above with a little heat on the manifold side of the joint.

Now I have sprayed eve orifice with PB Blaster and will attempt again tomorrow night. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated!!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if you pulled all the bolts for both intake and exhaust, it will come off. I would suggest a complete used motor vs patching it. you will need to pressure test the block.

I myself would find a 4.3 carb and bolt it in, make new mounts and go boating.

tigger3650

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Being a 140, there is only 1 manifold, a combined intake/exhaust. The patch would just be until I found a really good deal on a 4.3. There were only 2 bolts and 2 nuts that I could find, but that brings me to another question, do I need to double the nuts on the studs and try to remove them?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
there are more than 4 most have 4 bolts and 1 stud or 5 bolts

Last edited:

tigger3650

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks BT. I'm not liking where this is going. I look at pictures, see 5 bolts on the outboard side and holes on the inside, but if memory serves me right, I removed 2 long bolts that would pass through the manifold, into the head and removed nuts from 2 studs. The rest of the bolts removed were very short, just holding accessories on. Unless someone broke them off at 1 time, then drilled and tapped then shallow just to put the accessories back on. I will double check again tomorrow after work.

tigger3650

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got the manifold off, missed a bolt under the carb. 6in crack in the block.:mad:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
clean it with acetone, "V" the crack, clean with acetone and a SS wire brush, jb weld or plumbers epoxy, liquid steel, etc.

fishrdan

Admiral
If the block cracked, you should check the manifold also. Fill the manifold's water jacket with acetone and check it over with a flash light to see if it's leaking, checking inside the ports closely.

airshot

Rear Admiral
I see you found the other bolt....just pulled mine to do a head job and was going to say you have another bolt to remove. If and when you replace those bolts do remember to coat them with anti-sieze or you may never remove them again!

tigger3650

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Good news, new motor is in. Now to work out the new prop details. Started another topic in the Prop section. Please feel free to chime in!!!