First boat.. : / few issues and i need some advice

ilove2fixx

Chief Petty Officer
Hi guys, ok i just purchased a 2003 bayliner 175 3.0 mercruiser and i took it out to tye water it took a while to crank her but she did and she ran .. but steering was so hard.. im probably going to just replace the teleflex cable , that sounds right?
Also i noticed rust all over the engine , spark plugs and other places like nuts and bolts, is that normal ?
What scared me was when i took the top oil plug out i saw rust forming on the inside of the block , where it says GM ??? Is that ok? Please tell me im ok .. lol

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Welcome to the forum!

Most likely the problem with the steering is old crusty lube on the rear shaft end of the steering cable. If you pull it out of the steering tube, clean it and slap on some fresh lube, it will probably work slick as new without spending anything.

I have seen a few motors that got water inside seemingly from nowhere.. Others had bad exhaust manifold to riser gasket surfaces and leaked into the exhaust. You can also have a crack somewhere. It can be a big or small problem. You need to use a vacuum oil suction unit and pull some oil out of the bottom of the pan. Fill up a clear glass jar with the first pint and see if any water separates out. Do an oil and filter change and run it, see if you get any more water. I never got any foam or residue in my 3L valve cover and was always surprised that some people would. If you are adding water there is a cause somewhere.

ilove2fixx

Chief Petty Officer
Hi bud, i really hope its something small.. i did check the oil on the dip stick and it looks good a little on the light side.. no stickyness at all almost like there is a little water or maybe additive.. i have 1 day left on the 15 day warranty he gave me.. i should have checked this earlier.. i really like the boat , but this thing is rrally scraring me..

tpenfield

Staff member
Welcome to iBoats, GOVguy,

The things you mentioned are not normal nor sound good. It will take a lot longer than 1 day (what's left of your 'warranty period') to figure things out. So, it is an all or nothing decision.

With the amount of rust that you speak of both external and internal to the engine, it could be that the engine has not been run in a long time, not received any type of care, or it could be the more serious situation that Rick mentioned above . . . a cracked engine block.

You will have to decide if you want to go back and nix the deal or go forward and fix whatever is wrong.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Today is it then. You must look at the oil. On the dipstick isn't good enough, I have made that mistake myself and there was at least a quart of water in the bottom and you couldn't tell squat from looking at the dipstick.

3 things I would do right now before deciding to keep the boat - buy a vacuum oil suction tool and a compression gauge. Pull enough oil from the bottom of the pan to make for sure and certain it isn't full of water. Then run a compression check on all cylinders. Then pull the drain plug on the bottom of the outdrive and let it dribble a little oil out. Make sure that is clean and water free as well.

Rule Number 1 - There are always other boat deals.

ilove2fixx

Chief Petty Officer
Today is it then. You must look at the oil. On the dipstick isn't good enough, I have made that mistake myself and there was at least a quart of water in the bottom and you couldn't tell squat from looking at the dipstick.

3 things I would do right now before deciding to keep the boat - buy a vacuum oil suction tool and a compression gauge. Pull enough oil from the bottom of the pan to make for sure and certain it isn't full of water. Then run a compression check on all cylinders. Then pull the drain plug on the bottom of the outdrive and let it dribble a little oil out. Make sure that is clean and water free as well.

Rule Number 1 - There are always other boat deals.

Ok i will check right now. Man im such a lazy ass and if i need a new engine, well thats what i deserve..

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Ok i will check right now. Man im such a lazy *** and if i need a new engine, well thats what i deserve..

Nah, nobody really desrves that unless they skip maintenance - like winterizing before temps drop into the teens. When you do that you got no complaints that you need a new block.

Buying a new boat is a NIGHTMARE of possibilities - especially for the first time purchaser. Just no way to have the expertise to know where the gotchas are. I would bet half of all used boats sold have hidden stuff that the new owner may or may not find out about until way too late - I did. Cost me $1300 for a new outdrive on a $4k boat. Today I would be a lot less likely to be bitten by a hidden problem of that magnitude. Still could happen though. It is HARD buying a boat and know with any certainty what's wrong with it. Especially when getting a 'deal' in the winter when test drive time is so limited. Cut yourself some slack.

We'll help you get it figured out. You still need to start doing a comprehensive exam on everything so you know the scope of the problems. And this is especially necessary as walking back really sucks when it breaks down.

Rick

ilove2fixx

Chief Petty Officer
Ok to my relief i drained the oil and no water! : ) and all 3.8 quarts came out. Changed the oil and filter.. now to the lower unit.. can i use 80/90 or it has to be straight 90 marine type ? My lower drain plug wont budge and its starting to strip? Im using a pretty wide flat head, but i probably need a wider flat head or should i use a my cordless drill ?

tpenfield

Staff member
Is the boat yours at this point, given that you had yesterday to decide?

Alumarine

Captain
Ok to my relief i drained the oil and no water! : ) and all 3.8 quarts came out. Changed the oil and filter.. now to the lower unit.. can i use 80/90 or it has to be straight 90 marine type ? My lower drain plug wont budge and its starting to strip? Im using a pretty wide flat head, but i probably need a wider flat head or should i use a my cordless drill ?

Go to Harbour Freight or a place like that and buy an Impact Screwdriver Set for about $10 to remove the drain plug.
Do not use the impact screwdriver to reinstall the NEW plugs with washers. Buy a proper screwdriver for that.

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
Listen to marc c. Use the high end mercruiser gear lube. It's the best lube. So good some Baja 1000 racers use it in their trans axels.

ilove2fixx

Chief Petty Officer
Go to Harbour Freight or a place like that and buy an Impact Screwdriver Set for about $10 to remove the drain plug.
Do not use the impact screwdriver to reinstall the NEW plugs with washers. Buy a proper screwdriver for that.

To late i already bought a big heavy duty wide head flat head, hopefully that gets it out lol