Impeller replacement on 04 Alpha 1 Gen 2

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
Hey guys,

Just bought a new boat. It's an 04 Maxim 1800sr3. It was off a very friends brother so I have very good knowledge of the things that have been done. He had the impeller replaced in 2010 and it has about 56 hours on it or so. I'm figuring it's due for a new one given the age. Have a couple of quick questions. I replaced an impeller on my old boat a few years ago (87 Alpha 1 Gen 1). Is there much of a difference between the two drives, or is it basically the same procedure. I do have the service manual for the new drive. 2nd question, the boat has a big swimming platform on it that goes over the drive. It looks to me like it's just held on with some big bolts. Anyone know if this is something I can just take off as it would make it MUCH easier to get at the drive with it off. Not sure if it would be all sealed in and non-removable.

Thanks!
Dave

Rick Stephens

Admiral
The Gen2 is pretty much identical. A little heavier impeller and a lot heavier pump housing. You won't have any trouble as it is really close to same same. Swim steps can usually come off pretty easy. Use 4200 to seal the bolts back up when you reinstall it.

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
Awesome. Thanks Rick. So with the platform, just some sealant on the bolts....nothing I need to seal on the platform itself. It looked to me like it just rested up against the hull....but when I mentioned to my buddies brother, he said it was all sealed up to the hull and would be a nightmare to remove. Sure as hell doesn't look like it to me....looks like it just pops off after removing the nuts.

thumpar

Admiral
I would try to remove the drive with the platform on. If you remove the platform you risk the chance of stripping out the holes in the hull on reinstall. Make a stand for the drive to sit on and lower the tongue. It is only six bolts for the drive and the trim pin. The rest of the work is done on the bench.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I am curious why you think it would be easier to pull the drive off with the swimstep off.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
I am curious why you think it would be easier to pull the drive off with the swimstep off.

Maybe not to pull the drive off, but putting it back on..... 99% of boat's I've worked on with a swim platform, yes, it would have been MUCH easier to do with it gone. But customers won't pay for that. :(

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
Maybe not to pull the drive off, but putting it back on..... 99% of boat's I've worked on with a swim platform, yes, it would have been MUCH easier to do with it gone. But customers won't pay for that. :(

That was my thought as well. Getting it off would be no issue, crawling under it, while holding the drive and making sure everything stays lined up for install is my concern. I'm going to recruit a friend or two to assist and give it a shot with the platform on, and then if it doesn't go well. I will pull it if needed. I've still got about a month or so to think about it. Boat is currently under a foot of snow, so no work for a bit. :)

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
That swim platform setup is similar to my old Four Winns. Chris is right, pulling the outdrive is no problem, but putting it back in with that platform looming overhead is a pain. Rather than pulling the swim platform, spend that time and build a simple outdrive stand (on wheels) to hold the drive when you reinstall. That is what I did, and the platform was a non issue. Went from a PITA two person job to an easy one person just slide it in no lifting job. Check out the "Adults only" sticky for some ideas for a DIY stand.

Last edited:

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

This one was taken just before we wrapped it up for the winter. You can kind of see what I am talking about. The platform extends further out obviously.

Attachments

• photo237859.jpg
    photo237859.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 0

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Rather than pulling the swim platform, spend that time and build a simple outdrive stand (on wheels) to hold the drive when you reinstall.
Agreed. I can remove/install a Volvo duoprop all by myself with a stand.

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
That swim platform setup is similar to my old Four Winns. Chris is right, pulling the outdrive is no problem, but putting it back in with that platform looming overhead is a pain. Rather than pulling the swim platform, spend that time and build a simple outdrive stand (on wheels) to hold the drive when you reinstall. That is what I did, and the platform was a non issue. Went from a PITA two person job to an easy one person just slide it in no lifting job. Check out the "Adults only" sticky for some ideas for a DIY stand.

Awesome. Thanks for the idea. I'll take a look at making the stand. Will definitely come in handy.

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
So I have been doing some homework and found a stand design that will probably work pretty well. Only thing I am curious about, is it seems like with most designs, you need to remove the prop. From what I have read about doing the impeller, you need to move the prop to help get the splines aligned when re-installing the drive. Do you guys usually take the prop off when service your pumps? Or I'm figuring I can maybe modify the design I found a bit to try an make it work with the prop on.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You can slide the prop on there temporarily if you need to move the splines.

Here is my stand:
IMG_0729.JPG

Rick Stephens

Admiral
That's slick Bruce. Makes me feel stupid that I have an engine sitting there awaiting the occasional motor.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Yeah, you should pull the prop off every year to lube the prop shaft (2-4-C grease) as part of the annual maintenance, especially if the prop has not been off for a few years. It is not uncommon for them to get stuck on pretty good. Just slip the prop on if needed. I had an old trashed prop laying around so I cut two of the blades off and use that hub with the one remaining blade to turn the shaft. I also drilled a hole in that blade to allow me to hook on a bungee to hold CCW pressure on the shaft to keep the outdrive locked in forward gear during instillation.
P.S. That is a pretty nice looking stand!

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
That is a good idea on the prop with the bungy Terry. Old beat up props are pretty easy to find.

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Great idea on the old prop. I think I have one lying around from my old Alpha 1 Gen 1 that I had for my 87 Four Winns....would that be the same prop? I'm going to try and build something similar to this one that was posted in the sticky. The stand posted earlier is beautiful, but I think something nice and cheap would suffice. I don't see needing to take the drive off very often...(I HOPE!!!!!!)

Attachments

• photo237951.jpg
    photo237951.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 0

thumpar

Admiral
Great idea on the old prop. I think I have one lying around from my old Alpha 1 Gen 1 that I had for my 87 Four Winns....would that be the same prop? I'm going to try and build something similar to this one that was posted in the sticky. The stand posted earlier is beautiful, but I think something nice and cheap would suffice. I don't see needing to take the drive off very often...(I HOPE!!!!!!)
The only problem I see with that stand is that you can't slide it under the drive. The front side needs to be open. The one I built for my alpha was similar to that but I could slide it under the drive while on the boat and then level out the boat so that all I had to do was roll the drive off the boat. Then when you go to reinstall you just roll that drive up to the boat and push it back on and bolt it up. You lower the tongue a tad and the stand just rolls out of the way.

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
The only problem I see with that stand is that you can't slide it under the drive. The front side needs to be open. The one I built for my alpha was similar to that but I could slide it under the drive while on the boat and then level out the boat so that all I had to do was roll the drive off the boat. Then when you go to reinstall you just roll that drive up to the boat and push it back on and bolt it up. You lower the tongue a tad and the stand just rolls out of the way.

Yeah, I noticed that. I'm going to base it on this design, but modify it a bit. I would like the front to be similar the the rear on this stand...although it looks like if I spin this around I could just slide it in. I've got some time before I start the project, so I can keep searching for ideas. The boat is buried in snow so I don't even have it here yet. Hoping for an early spring this year!!!