Alpha One Lower Shift Cable Core Wire Only?

It's been less than a year since I replaced the lower shift cables in my Alpha One gen 1's and I'm already having some trouble likely due to bad upper shift shaft seals leaking in seawater and corroding the cables. I'll replace the seals for sure but what are your opinions on replacing the lower shift cable core wire only? I did a search before posting and didn't come up with much besides Chris mentioning the parts weren't available separately. I did find a new style core listed below and it should be suitable. Anyone try this route before?

http://www.amazon.com/MERCRUISER-AL...-33&keywords=Alpha+shift+cable#productDetails

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
It would cost you more to have a custom core only made than a new cable. Just replace the cable. Especially if you have corrosion.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
It would be easier to replace just the inner cable... but if it were me, I would worry that any corrosion that was there is going to cause trouble with the new cable. It would be hard to completely clean out the sheath and impossible to know if there was any damage inside. It's not that much more work or money to replace the entire cable assembly.

Bondo

Staff member
It would be easier to replace just the inner cable... but if it were me, I would worry that any corrosion that was there is going to cause trouble with the new cable. It would be hard to completely clean out the sheath and impossible to know if there was any damage inside. It's not that much more work or money to replace the entire cable assembly.

Ayuh,..... Considerin' every lower shift cable I've ever pulled, the Outer casin' is what goes Bad,....

It's where corrosion lives, 'n is what wears causin' short cable travel,...

Ok then, completely new cables it is. I sure am looking forward to shifting without having to restart the engines. Thanks for the help everybody!