Where does #14 in this diagram go?

imp0ster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It's obviously loose in the bellhousing. I think it sits on the drive and bumps up against the bellows retaining ring?

Attachments

• photo237643.jpg
    photo237643.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
It is basically a rubber washer, you slide it in up inside the gimbal housing against the drive shaft boot prior to installing item 15 and then the drive. In most cases it is never removed until the boots are being replaced

fetch

For an easier install I like to put the ring on the out drive during the reinstall, the boot will be hard enough to set correctly, you don't want to worry about crimping the o-ring too.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
For an easier install I like to put the ring on the out drive during the reinstall, the boot will be hard enough to set correctly, you don't want to worry about crimping the o-ring too.

Not to be contrary... but no. It is much easier to use some bellows adhesive and glue the big square rubber ring in the bellhousing, then install the drive.

In most cases it is never removed until the boots are being replaced

fetch

I am surprised by this. I replace it along with the gasket (#15) everytime I remove and install the drive. I am curious what others do.

alldodge

Staff member
I am surprised by this. I replace it along with the gasket (#15) everytime I remove and install the drive. I am curious what others do.

You bring up a good point, I don't do many alphas anymore, bravo's don't use it. Last one I did last year was to help a fried and he handed me the gasket and it didn't have one in the bag. The old seal was still there so didn't give it much thought

No worries, what works, works. Also mounting the boot to the out drive first and to the transom last gives you the opertunity to inspect how the out drive is sitting against the transom. As long as the o-ring is not bulging out anywhere, you're in.

Not to be contrary... but no. It is much easier to use some bellows adhesive and glue the big square rubber ring in the bellhousing, then install the drive.

thumpar

Admiral
On my Alpha I would pull the drive every other year and do the impeller. The install kit would always come with that big rubber ring so I just replaced it every time. It goes in the hole that the driveshaft goes though. I always just put it in and then installed the drive.

Fun Times

Staff member
he handed me the gasket and it didn't have one in the bag. The old seal was still there so didn't give it much thought
I am curious what others do
When working at the service shop this kind of seemed more dependent on the situation of what one was doing to the boat service wise. Those O-rings seemed pretty hardy/sturdy if you will and seemed to last a decent amount of time. Depending on their overall condition, know age, fit and what was being done as far as needing to take the drive off for inspection and/or water testing up to possibly a couple of times or more, some dealers would buy new bell housing gaskets in bulk and save the full gasket kits for full annual or known final testing service jobs since the gasket was the weak link when removing the drive as it seemed to often tear apart someplace no matter the age or times removed. Yes it's always better & safer to replace with the whole kit during annual full service jobs just so to be on the safe side but there are just some incidents where it may not totally be needed if you're careful about everything in order to get by okay.

Since AD wasn't supplied the big O-ring/seal, One "possible" thought could be maybe the dealer may have sold AD's friend just a gasket from either an old bulk stock vs the whole gasket kit or an aftermarket gasket by Sierra as they sell just the gasket which is part number 18-2743. http://www.iboats.com/Mercury-Marin...1704090--session_id.972873414--view_id.464807

Unless the other smaller O-rings where in the bag but missing the big ring 'Then it may have been the Sierra gasket only or someone else removed/misplaced the big ring from the full kit that you can buy either from Merc or Sierra. http://www.iboats.com/Outdrive-Gask...1704090--session_id.972873414--view_id.187588

imp0ster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I did place it up against the bellows ring and greased the living hell out of everything that slides. Took me about 30 minutes to realize my dad attached the shift cable and the foot was cocked a little and 1 minute to realize the trim rams had to be in the air before the drive goes in. After I detached the shift cable at the engine and straightened the foot it slid right in without a fuss.

Last edited by a moderator: