New Skeg

hogfan21

Recruit
I need to have a new skeg welded on my i/o 3.0 mercruiser. It's really close to the lower unit housing so I am certain they will have to disassemble the lower unit, replace the seals and water pump, then weld on a new skeg, finally reassemble the lower unit. How much do you think I should pay? Should I have the water pump replaced? I'm in AR, River Valley .

gm280

Supreme Mariner
hogfan21, :welcome: to iboats...

If you disassembly the unit, you can figure on at least a hundred bucks or more for them to do the welding. It is hard to guesstimate because we can't see what you are dealing with. So the cost will certainly rise quickly if they are to disassembly everything and weld and reassembly it back. JMHO!

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
You might want to check on the price of a new or rebuilt even used lower unit after you get your estimates. there are good one out there at reasonable prices if you look hard enough

Bondo

Staff member
Should I have the water pump replaced?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... If ya go that route, Yes, of course, as tearin' the unit apart, ya might as well fully rebuild it,....

Donno what labor goes for down yer way, but a brand new SEI lower will probably be cheaper, especially if any worn parts are found durin' the tear-down,....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the marina I had used most recently that welded the skeg on, and it was about an inch from the gearcase. they use a thermal barrier putty to keep the heat from reaching the seals, etc. the bill was $50.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
When I got my A1 the LU had a mauled skeg, like a third of it was knocked off. I just filed it smooth and repainted. The OD doesn't need a skeg just the prop if you drag it up the ramp with the drive still down. If you hit a rock pile under water the prop is still wasted, the skeg won't protect it. Most guys replace the skegs for cosmetics, it drives them nuts to see it missing or hammered.