Alpha 1 gen 2 adjustment

skippy2235

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I know this must have been asked, but after searching for 1 hr. I decided to just ask.
My issue is: BRAND NEW Alpha 1 gen 2 drive, dealer installed, last spring worked great all season till the end.
Last trips before storage, the drive started to make a ticking noise, when running and the prop spins slowly. I am sure the clutch dog is slightly touching the FWD drive gear. Yes it does not shift as good as it did, like the cables stretched or needs some fine tuning.
When on trailer it shifts just great. but in water, the FWD was engaging the shift interrupt.

What cable do I adjust and which direction do I move it?
I have watched some youtube videos, they tell how to replace, I just want to adjust the cable a little.

thumpar

Admiral
It is probably the lower shift cable. You can try to adjust it but it may need to be replaced.

skippy2235

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It is less then a year old. Was installed in late June.
New drive, all 3 cables and housings, shift handles, and shift mechanism all NEW.
The entire system was replaced.
I converted from OMC to Mercruiser. Had a dealer do it, Cost was $6200.
This must be a small adjustment, just would like some place to start and direction on which way to turn.

skippy2235

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Watched that. First thing.
Nobody addresses what if you hear ticking of the clutch dog, all talk about if not going into reverse.

thumpar

Admiral
The ticking is most likely the shift cable not going far enough so that the dogs just touch and not engage. That is why the talk about shift cable. If the cable is not adjusted it will not engage the drive.

skippy2235

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When moving the handle it engages just fine, in both gears. My guess is clutch is closer to the fwd gear, because the prop is slightly moving fwd direction.
I will move the brass but fwd, 2 turn and see what that does.
I was hopping some one knew exactly the fix so I did not have to experiment.

thumpar

Admiral
Just follow the manual on the adjustment. You don't have to experiment It is not a true clutch. They are clutch dogs. They have teeth that fit together.

skippy2235

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok did what you said and WOW, you guys are on top of it. Is there a manual that you go by or do you just invent this stuff.
Why, How come my dealer did it wrong, Does he not read the manual?
When I checked my setup with the video, IT WAS WAY OFF. I MEAN WAY OFF.

The brass barrel nut was over an inch off, Reading was 7.5 inches.
The slider stud was max at the farthest setting toward the Rev side.

I changed everything per the video and BAM works the FIRST TIME.
No sliding the stud or anything.

No more clicking and the prop stays still sitting on the trailer.

Now one more question.
Do i have to change anything when in the water or will it work the way it is?

THANKS for all the help.