Air coming from bottom of rear of motor on Merc 3.0 See pic please

davidfulford

Recruit
So after realizing I left the plug in my dang boat and the bilge engine compartment completely filled up with water from rain...other than the other problems I know I might have, I noticed air coming from the spot indicated in the picture when the engine is running. Is this normal? Thx
3.0-merc-MPI.jpgrmal.

Fun Times

Staff member
Since that arrow seems to be pointing at the general location of the flywheel 'that would be turning counter clockwise looking from the rear of the engine/boat to forward/bow, yes you could feel some air coming from that area while the engine is running.

davidfulford

Recruit
Yeah I would have never noticed it but after I realized the bilge had flooded because I left the plug in, I tried to start it for the hell of it after letting the bilge pump drain it a bit and noticed the water bubbling for that area.....couldn't believe it started but I had used it a couple weeks prior..I didn't expect the starter to work...I'm in Austin TX and it has been springlike almost summer like weather. Yeah I was thinking that was kind of like the bellhousing on a car and it could be coming from the flywheel but I'm not that familiar with marine motors etc.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Stern drive power package..... An automotive engine with 'marinized' electrical and fuel system, coupled to a set of gears to transfer drive to a propeller.

Basically the engine, apart from the exhaust system and some minor changes to the cooling system, is exactly what you see in your car.

Yes, quite normal to feel some air in that area. It's a flywheel housing with a dirty great lump of cast iron spinning around. :)

Chris.....

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
If your starter was submerged, I would suggest replacing it now before it dies on you at a more inopportune time. ;)