My Mercruiser turns on it's own while under way...What could cause this? Thanks!

Bad boys 6

Cadet
I have a 94 sea ray 24 ft.cuddy that takes a sharp right or left turn at high speed without turning the steering wheel it has power steering and trim tabs that are fully up any help would be nice .Thanks

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
If the vessel it actually turning and the steering wheel was not moved, check the steering arm for excessive play

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
is it a sharp curve, or a slight curve?

if you have hydraulic steering, you could have air in the system and it could need to be bled

if you have a cable and power steering, check the steering arm like BT Doctur indicated

if its only a slight curve, and you only have a single prop, adjust your trim tab above the prop

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Could be the PS pump is going bad and without it steering torque could be taking over. Check the PS pump fluid level first and see if it's full and or burned.

JustJason

Vice Admiral
The boat probably has cheap rack and pinion steering, which would be par for the course, and also a normal behavior for rack steering. Upgrade it to a no feedback rotary system and it won't do that any longer.

thumpar

Admiral
Have someone hold the wheel while trying to move the drive side to side.

Bad boys 6

Cadet
Thanks for the replays there is very little play in the out drive maybe a 1/2 inch at best the steering arm has NO play... yes its a hard fast turn never know witch way its going to go ! I will have the marina bled the system that may be the answer I have owned boats for 50 yrs and never seen nothing like this thanks for all the inputs Guys .

Mercruiser420

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I would inspect the steering pin/gimbal ring again...double check it for play and make sure its not corrosion that's holding it tight.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I have a 94 sea ray 24 ft.cuddy that takes a sharp right or left turn at high speed without turning the steering wheel it has power steering and trim tabs that are fully up any help would be nice .Thanks

What engine and drive do you have?

alldodge

Staff member
I think your helm is striped. There is probably one spot on the helm gear that the teeth are missing

Bad boys 6

Cadet
thanks it a 5/0 205 mercury.... no play in the steering and very responsive while under way when being turned .. but does a crazy turn when ever under way thanks for the input going to take it to the marina as soon as they come off winter hours thanks for your interest in thying to help Bad boys 6?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
If your power steering system is otherwise working properly, Try installing a rudder trim tab on it and adjust to relieve the turning force at high speed.......

thumpar

Admiral
If your power steering system is otherwise working properly, Try installing a rudder trim tab on it and adjust to relieve the turning force at high speed.......
I don't think that is going to help. He said it will turn either left or right. The tab is used to counteract one direction only.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
I don't think that is going to help. He said it will turn either left or right. The tab is used to counteract one direction only.

I had one on my previously Mercruiser Alpha powered boat. Seems like I remember being able to adjust to produce a turning force in either direction.............

It also only worked at one constant speed. I.E., go faster and it would start turning in one direction and slower would cause a turn in the other direction.......(It was manual steering though)