4.3L Steering Probl 1991 Hurricane Deckboat

AHILL10

Recruit
My 1991 Hurricane/Godfrey Deckboat has been tough to steer for years at idle/slow speed. It was fine at operating speed so I assumed power steering pump was weak or belt slipping. Pulling into dock last weekend and felt a "pop" in the steering wheel and lost steering. Wheel won't turn. (thank goodness for trolling motor and no wind that day!). Power steering belt appeared to be toast. Thought easy fix and replaced belt. Still steering locked. I figure one of three probs: 1) Power steering pump 2) control arm/slave cylinder (whatever it's called) or 3) steering cable. Seeing the belt stretched made me assume PS pump, but I run engine and it's not destroying new belt so I'm leaning towards steering cable replacement first. Any suggestions where to start?

Rick Stephens

Admiral
You need to disconnect the cable from the steering arm. See if the cable is frozen or the bell housing won't swivel.

Generally speaking the hydraulics by themselves assist the steering and should not be able to freeze it.

Rick

AHILL10

Recruit
That makes sense. Thanks for the advice. The Georgia snow has melted and supposed to be sunny and 50 degrees tomorrow. Looks like a good day to break out the wrenches! Thanks again for the reply!

Rick Stephens

Admiral
If you haven't pulled one before, you take the left most nut off that holds the cable housing to the tube attached to the power steering head. Then pull the cotter key and clevis pin. You have to jerk the cable out of the outer tube, that 16 inch long tube stays. Old grease can make getting the cable out of that tube tough.

Rick

AHILL10

Recruit
Thanks again for the advice! Getting it out of the tube was a bear! Unhooked everything one day, soaked in PB blaster and let sit overnight. Tried the next day, still couldn't get it. Quit for the day and finally got it out on day 3! Definitely more of a project then I thought it would be! Anyway, it's out and new one on order. Helpful tip for someone doing this for the first time. Be sure to tie a couple long pieces of string to cable before you pull the old cable out through the hull or you will never get the new one threaded back through the hull. I always pull two lines (in case one breaks or comes off when pulling the new cable) and wrap multiple times with duct tape so it can take some abuse while pulling back through.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
I agree, it is really hard to know from the manual that you are going to be hogging on the cable housing to get the cable end out of the guide tube. Glad you got it out and found your problem.

Rick