4.3 cracked block should i buy

pjnadon

Cadet
I am considering buying a 97 starcraft 1810ss it has a 4.3 mercruiser alpha 1 owner claims that it has a cracked block and water was in the oil . question is what else should I be looking for I am assuming the cracked block was because of not being winterized what other damage can there be. the interior is dirty with a little cracking because it has been sitting outside uncovered. Is it worth the risk to buy this boat and rebuild it or am I better off moving on and getting a boat that is water ready.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Depends on price and condition of the rest of the boat...

Plan on complete engine replacement.

jbcurt00

Staff member
$500 its a buy

$5000 its a walk away

Lots of space in between, pix pix pix?

The 97 1810SS is fiberglass or tin?

Whats his asking$

pjnadon

Cadet
he is asking $2400 Cdn it seems in ok condition from what I can tell from the pic he has the lower part off on the stern drive off. he says the boat is complete (including trailer) it is a fiberglass open bow. I had planned on replacing the motor. the other problem is the cheapest rebuilt motor I can find in my area is $6000 g I have found some rebuilt motors 800 miles away for from $2200 to $3000 I plan on doing the work myself so I save that way. Another question would be is all theses motors the same blocks hate to buy a motor get it home and find out the parts don't bolt up
starcraft.JPG

Attachments

• starcraft.JPG
    starcraft.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 0

jbcurt00

Staff member
Unless thats the only boat you've ever loved and wanted to own, IMO $2400 w a cracked block is too much. Esp if the outdrive is pulled, also of questionable status and the interior is toast.

A lot of work ahead, even for a 1997.

What would that bare hull and trailer be worth? $1K CDN?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Also understand you will be buying a complete engine with manifolds and risers . You dont know what cracked. Find out why the drive was removed

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Sitting uncovered equals water logged foam and rotten decks/stringers. It's a 19 year old neglected boat that needs a ton of work. By the drive being pulled you can also count on a gimbal bearing replacement and if the drive wasn't stored properly then the ujoints and drive shaft will be rusted up.

pjnadon

Cadet
A trailer around here range from 500 to 1000 not sure what the bare hull would be worth. The boat itself isn't something I am attached to other than the fact its a open bow 18 ft.
Boats in this area range from $5000 for a 92 maxum to $8000 for a mint 2000 bayliner 19 foot

pjnadon

Cadet
I had planned on replacing the gimbal bearings and u joints water pump things like that anyways but I guess the decks and stringers would be another thing to consider when I had talked to the guy he had said that they had an issue with low oil pressure when they pulled the intake off there was a crack in the block I haven't seen the boat yet because its a 2 hr drive so I don't know the extent of the damage. the only reason I was considering it was because figured when all is said and done I would have a rebuilt boat.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Only if you gut the boat, otherwise you have a new engine in a boat of unknown condition w a new interior.

Thats basically like lipstick on a pig, IMO. Because you have no idea whats below decks. FYI, sont trust anything the seller says, unless you put your eyes and hands on the boat.

That may mean a 2hr trip to go look at it and return w out it....

thumpar

Admiral
That is pretty high. If they left it to crack what else was neglected? I think you are overvaluing the price of a trailer.

bspeth

Senior Chief Petty Officer
My opinion,there will be plenty to work to do on a boat that is in GOOD shape. If you can get a cared for boat for 5k then you are already ahead of the game(and boating in the spring).

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
You said sitting outside uncovered. No way would I even think about looking at it. Just think of all the rain, sleet, snow, little critters, etc.
There are plenty of well taken care of boats out there. This one was neglected.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I agree with the last post. That purchase price is just the tip of the iceberg on a neglected boat.....

pjnadon

Cadet
just an update I did pick up the boat the guy I bought it off of worked at the marine shop that the owner brought it to because it wouldn't start. After telling him the motor was done he sold it to him. The condition of the boat is pretty good deck is solid a little cracking in the seats and really dirty in the interior because it was stored in a barn stern drive was in good shape . Now I am in the process of finding a new motor.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I would certainly go over that boat with an extremely fine tooth comb. Check everything for water rot and such. If that passes, then I would look for an engine...or parts to build an engine, whatever strikes your fancy. But I would certainly check the floor, stringers, and absolutely the transom before installing any new or rebuilt engine. Post some pictures. We love seeing pictures on these forums. It helps us help you once we can see what you are dealing with. JMHO!