Water distribution housing leak

Sixshooter1

Cadet
Hello all
I have a Mercrusier 6.2 and have noticed the rubber tube located at the bottom of the water distribution housing is leaking water while at cruising speed. Does the whole housing need to be replaced and what causes this...it's a closed cooling system and water usually comes out when I pressurize the system with air at the end of the day after boat is on trailer.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,.... Are there clamps on it,..?? Are they tight,..??

Got a picture,..?? How 'bout the serial number of the motor,..??

alldodge

Staff member
Here is a pic of the front of the motor of the earlier model. A serial number is best for us to help out. Also have a question are you using the purge pump every time you pull the boat out?
cooling.jpg

Sixshooter1

Cadet
Yes I try and purge the water from the engine every time I take it out of the water, approx 4 times last year. The water streams from the orange rubber tube when at cruising speed. Serial # is 0W620541

Sixshooter1

Cadet
The orange rubber tube is located at the bottom of the water distribution housing. This is the same location from where the water exits when I have purged in the past.

alldodge

Staff member
The orange rubber tube is located at the bottom of the water distribution housing. This is the same location from where the water exits when I have purged in the past.

fetch

Your serial number didn't come up, may be off by a digit, but there are three types, manual, rod actuated and air actuated. You appear to have the air actuated and a pressure relief valve is inside which is opened when the pump applies enough pressure to cause the valve to open and drain. It's designed to be used during winterization so once a year. Doing it every time is probably wearing out the seal in the valve. I haven't known of anyone take it apart because it's glued together.

If your unable to free it up, you have to replace it with the same or you could use the rod or manual ones.
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...681&bnbr=300&bdesc=Water+Distribution+Housing

Sixshooter1

Cadet
Try the letter "O" instead of a "zero". It may be OW620541. That's what I assumed, I thought maybe the valve could be replaced but the on line catalogs show it as all one piece. I purchased the boat (2006 Searay Sundancer 260) from a farmer in Kansas. He kept it stored inside his workshop until I purchased it in September of 2014 with only 120 hours on it. He had no idea what the hand pump on top of the closed cooling system was for. I brought it to Arizona and although there's no need to winterize them here, I have purged the water out after each use. Guess I should refrain from doing this each time. After a day on the lake, there is about a gallon or so of water below, which isn't a big deal, however my thought is that it could quickly get worse and should just be replaced now.

Thank you for your help Admiral!

alldodge

Staff member
The zero at the beginning is correct, my guess is Merc didn't enter the serial number correctly in the database. It's not that big of an issue, I changed it to 0W620540 (as before) and it came up. Replacing would be my thought, and if you get one which requires you to remove the plug at the bottom (manual) the pump will not work as well but gravity works OK. The manual also cost slightly less. If you go looking search "Mercruiser 863631T1" and it should show different sources. If you do want the original type then use part number 836802T2

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
that is on the raw water side of the system and although the plastic part looks impressive there is nothing inside it. And the system sucks. The block drains get clogged and never drain. You must remove the quick disconnect block hose and probe the opening.
Personally I would remove the quick drain "I have a cracked block" drain system completely

Last edited:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
I used bronze parts but copper pipe can also be used and soldered together
DSCN3728_zpslnixvo90.jpg

DSCN3729_zpscyuamd93.jpg

DSCN3512_zpsqlht4zds.jpg

DSCN3513_zpsqr7m61fd.jpg

DSCN3511_zpspkpgrehy.jpg

DSCN3730_zpscycdmdeq.jpg

DSCN3731_zpsbvaqmvtg.jpg

cjag

Recruit
Thanks Bt Doctur , but since I was given the part I'll just install it. The boat is currently out of the water and sitting up on stands so it should make the job less messy? Anyway, thanks again for the prompt response!