Coupler/Lower shift cable/cone clutch - 5.7 efi Bravo 3 - dual

ormjgrouch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hope all is well guys.

2000 Chaparral signature 300
Dual Bravo 3 Mercruiser 5.7 efi

The incident.

First left the slip, I noticed my alignment was off on the steering wheel. While maneuvering out of my marina.
Got on to plane, no problem cruised for 5 minutes
Parked near a beach and anchored out enjoyed the beach.

Left the beach and started cruising and noticed my port engine RPM would spike high up to 5K and I wasn’t getting on plane, pulled the throttle back down and made sure my outdrive was all the way down. ( also have issue with my trim going up and down). Throttled up and rpm spiked high again up to 5K. so limped back to the marina with low speed and got back to the slip and shut her off. The next day I checked the port engine and I wasn’t seeing any black residue or smelling and burnt rubber. Bad coupler? Clutches? Lower cable?

I did go back out to "pump out" (arghh kids) and I had no problem maneuvering with both outdrive out of my slip, my alightment was still off.

FYI.....

I bought the boat back in November 2014, when I got all the paperwork from the marina, it states that the engine coupler was replaced on the port side on 06/2014

Thanks guys for taking your time in reading my problem and you advises/tips/suggestions.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
So the port engine which paper work says the coupler was replaced revs high. The bravo isn't going to just jump out of gear at high revs, I think it's probably the coupler. Need to pull the drive to find out

BTW does the paper work say it was replaced or just show it as an estimate?

Last edited:

ormjgrouch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Alldodge, I was thinking the same thing, I don't have any proof that it was done but its definitely not a estimate, "service work order"

the paperwork says it was the port.

Man I have to say Alldodge, I can always count on you to reply to my issues. haha its been a while for me.

I'm debating if I'm going to change out the coupler myself, I will need to build some type of gantry. I'm looking at the cost of the repair its $1,234.55. I have the boat pulled right now sitting on a trailer so If tow the boat somewhere else to fix should be cheaper, hopefully. I definitely didn't want the marina to do the work since they already tried, or they put a bandaid on it so the new buyer would deal with it (which is ME!)

ormjgrouch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
All dodge, when I pull the outdrive, will it be obvious that its the coupler?

alldodge

Staff member
All dodge, when I pull the outdrive, will it be obvious that its the coupler?

Not always, but you maybe be able to see it. Nice bright light and maybe but there is very little room to see. If the drive has issues coming off that could be a sign. If it's bad enough you might be able to turn the prop shaft with it in gear, probably not but maybe.

Pull the drain plug and check the lube

Get an engine alignment bar and see if it is a smooth fit in/out.

Some thing should show up

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
If the coupler is not obviously bad one test you could do if you are up for it is to swap the drives and see if the problem stays with the drive or the engine.