470 mercruiser antifreeze leak

dlholstine

Recruit
I have a 1980 470 mercruiser just bought. My first boat. Thought I was supposed to drain the system for the winter. Found out I was wrong. So I started refilling it with antifreeze now it's leaking from the weep hole. And it wasn't before I tried to winterize it. Saw the painstaking and costly way to fix. But why would it start leaking after I drained it

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

It was probably leaking before and it just wasn't noticed.

You sure it isn't some spilled AF?

dlholstine

Recruit
Thank you. Nothing spilled it's coming from the weep hole. Hoping this spring I'll be able to just replace a gasket. If it don't freeze up this winter. Maybe it was leaking before but I never had to add antifreeze. Like I do now. Old boat it's a 1980 success.

mr 88

Commander
Where did you see the "costly" way to fix it. If you search it on here I think you will find its a relatively cheap and easy fix. Stony Loam will no doubt chime in and walk you through the process. He is good at that !

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Who me? LOL! OK first off read this: http://www.sterndrives.com/470information/470coolantleakrepair.html Second, forget about all the expensive tools and messing with the front motor mount (probably will not have too). You can remove the rotor from the crankshaft with a puller borrowed (free) from Autozone, and make an installer from some threaded rod (1/2 inch fine thread) and some stacked washers (can explaine how when you get there). You will need 2 cam seals, 1 crankshaft oil seal, a front cover gasket set, some Permitex (NAPA) aviation sealant and a Speedi Sleeve, maybe some gasket material if you rip the pan gasket (pretty easy fix). You will want to use a good torque wrench so you do not over tighten the aluminum covers. Bunch of folks have done it here, so lots of help when you need it.

dlholstine

Recruit
Thanks everyone for the input. Being a new boat owner is nerve racking lol just hope me being dumb didn't cause all this

dlholstine

Recruit
Is there any free online manuals for this motor or for my boat? I can't find anything about my boat ( 80 success )

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
http://boatinfo.no/lib/library.html I think Mercruiser manual #3 is for your " early" 470, but manual. #8 has the procedures too (it is for the "late" post 83 engine but except for the exhaust and maybe the starter is pretty much the same). I think #6 covers your Alpha I outdrive.