Changing ujoint and shift bellows without removing bell housing?

wisebob

Seaman
So I'm trying to avoid the potential nightmare of trying to remove the bell housing. Is it possible to change the ujoint and shift bellows with just the drive off and leaving the bell housing on?

I have already removed the shift bellows but only got as far as unclamping the ujoint bellows. Kind of hard to remove in one piece but if it's not possible to install a new one without removing the bell housing, I shouldn't bother trying to cut it to remove it?

Any links/assistance would be great.

Thanks.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
What's so hard about removing the bell housing? Basically just those two pivot torx bolts. Not so hard...

Mercruiser420

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Its possible if your a magician or have no bones in your hands. Removing the bell housing is the correct way to do it. You really need to make sure the ujoint bellows went on all the way and popped in its groove so you don't have leaks. What about your exhaust bellows and water inlet hose..you may have to cut the hose. IMO the biggest pain is the shift cable, you need to disconnect it to remove the bell housing. Often you'll find kits online that include all these parts (as they're usually done together) as well as a gimbal bearing, which may be junk if your ujoint bellows were leaking..unless your doing this as preventative maintenance. Good luck and let know how you do

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Agree with the previous posts. The only thing holding the bell housing on is the two pivot bolts and the rubber parts you need to replace. Trying to replace them with the bell housing still attached would be a nightmare.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,... If the shift cable bellows was ripped, the cable is gonna Fail, 'n soon,...

Do it Right, or don't do it at all,.....

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
Are you sure you are not confusing the Bell housing with the gimbal ring? Removing the gimbal ring is the hard job but not he bell housing.

wisebob

Seaman
Ok. Going to try and remove the bell housing. I was afraid of stripping the screws for the trim senders since the leg seems like it hasn't been pulled for a long long time (I bought the boat used). The shift cable casing was already ripping so I spent yesterday getting the shift cable out and putting in a fish wire. Getting the the shift cable end out of the bell housing as a major pain in the butt as it was basically stuck in there like mad. Spent a while tapping it out.

Thanks.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Put a screwdriver in the screw and give it a rap with a hammer before you try and turn them. That will break away the corrosion that makes em stick.

Rick

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
Heed this advice and remove the upper housing. I did some work and ignored the advice. I will pull the entire drive before spring. Don't make the same mistake.

chilltech

Seaman Apprentice
Got to pull the bell housing. You should Change all the rubber parts while you are in there. Heat the threaded area of the bell housing with a low temp prestolite torch. Those torx bolts are installed with a specific red loctite sealant to keep corrosion out of the threads and must be heated to allow it to be taken apart. I suggest you get a shop manual or maybe someone here can post it.

thumpar

Admiral
You can also use an impact screwdriver to get the screws out. I bought one for my VST and it worked wonders. The bellhousing will come right off once you remove the 2 pins. You an use a allen wrench. I think it is 5/8" or 7/16", can't remember, so you don't need the special tool.

wisebob

Seaman
Got 3 out of the 4 trim sender screws out nicely until the last lone and it had to snap on me with a 1/4 of the threads left in. All the screws were major pain to remove. Hinge pins next.