Lower Shift Cable Tool

FreeBeeTony

Captain
Is there a reason this special tool is needed?
​Can you just use a standard socket?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
a very deep socket or 2 thinwall sockets welded together. supposedly the mercruiser cable allows you to remove the plastic guide tube for installation and install it after you tighten the cable.

FreeBeeTony

Captain
I have not yet attempted this project.
​Why 2 sockets welded together....for extra depth?

San_Diego_SeaRay

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm in the process of rebuilding a transom assembly and haven't yet got to the point of re-installing the shift cable, but did realize there was going to be a problem so I did a little research and found this YouTube video.

The only problem is that 9/16" spark plug sockets are not that common; meaning you probably won't use this socket for any other purpose again. So you're really just buying a cheaper version of a special tool.

EDIT: Oh and the reason you can't just use a regular deep well socket is that they are perfectly round; nothing to "grab" onto the way the 9/16 spark plug socket had an 11/16 male hex end.

Last edited:

FreeBeeTony

Captain
I see......I may have a 9/16' spark plug socket.
​Are you going to replace the upper shift arm?

San_Diego_SeaRay

Petty Officer 1st Class
I see......I may have a 9/16' spark plug socket.
​Are you going to replace the upper shift arm?

Nope. Don't see a need to. Maybe I'm missing something? Do these shift arms wear out or something?

I did have to remove the entire shift shaft assembly since I had the whole transom assembly powder coated and when you do that you have to remove all the rubber parts. That stupid little set screw thing that attaches the shift arm to the shift shaft is a bugger. Be careful if you have to remove it. On one of my assemblies I ended up having to drill it out and then re-thread it to 1/4". Apparently, adding some heat to it prior to removing helps. Didn't learn about that trick until afterwards...:blue:

FreeBeeTony

Captain
Thanks for the tip. I heard something about replacing the bushing on that arm, that's why I mentioned it.

Bondo

Staff member
supposedly the mercruiser cable allows you to remove the plastic guide tube for installation and install it after you tighten the cable.

Ayuh,.... I think you'll find both Merc, 'n Sierra have made the little white plastic liner removable,....

I wasted 2 snap-on 9/16" sockets buildin' the extra long socket, only to find out, it's no longer necessary,.....

airshot

Rear Admiral
I do have one of those small spark plug sockets....use if for the plugs on my weed eater and chainsaws as they all use those small plugs. If you have small gas engines you may already have that socket and not realize it.