Alpha one Gen 2 drive service

CJK440

Seaman
New here and on my second season with my 1996 18.5 Rinker Capri with a 3.0LX and Alpha 1 Gen 2 drive. I winterized the boat and noticed nothing amiss but figured I'd remove the drive and plan to change the impeller at least. The drive was a real bear to get off and when I finally did I found a little water in the bellows and the gimbal bearing was rusty and notchy. So it appears the bearing and bellows are on the to-do list. I also had some noise at extreme trim and steering angles so I figure I should plan on swapping the U-joints too.

I'm a gearhead who has rebuilt all sorts of engines, transmissions and rears with the tools to do it. This is my first boat tho.

Any suggestions for additional items to service while I am "in there". Any must have tools or tricks to be used during this? I do have the merc manual but see references to some specific tools. In the auto world there is more than one way to skin a cat, I assume with these too.

Impeller
Gimbal Bearing
Bellows
U-joints
??

Thanks!

alldodge

Staff member
Suggest either water pump alignment pins or a couple metric bolts with the heads cut off to hold the gasket in place when the pump housing is reinstalled.

The drive was a real bear to get off

Also need the engine alignment tool 91-805475A1
Bellows tool either Merc or home made (check adults only section)

Bondo

Staff member
Impeller
Gimbal Bearing
Bellows
U-joints
??

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... Do the lower shift cable, 'n the trim limit switch, 'n sender,...

I do All the rubber/ replaceable stuff when diggin' that deep into the transom assembly,....
The expected life of those parts is only 5 to 8 years,...

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Is the engine shift in relation to the gimbal bearing what may have prevented me from getting the drive off???

Gimbal can be its own bear. All it takes is enough rust on the drive shaft to keep it from easily sliding through the gimbal bearing. Or a really hard o-ring.

The shifter has to be in forward gear to get the shift shoe to face fore and aft so the lower portion can slide out of the bell housing section. This happens as the lower unit slides back. If the shifter is in neutral or reverse the shift shoe is pointing to the side and will not allow the lower to move rearward.

Rick