Water in engine oil

bcron

Recruit
Went out to winterize my 1997 190 HP 4.3 and checked oil looked good ran engine to warm oil to change. It was a little hard starting and when I sucked the oil out it has water in it. Nice milky oil. Did not overheat last time I used it so not sure if a head gasket let loose in storage or maybe a manifold or manifold gasket.
Where should I start looking? Engine has about 200 hours and ran perfect 2 months ago. Thanks ahead for advise.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Where's it stored,..??

Has the temps hit Freezin' there yet,..?

The hard start would lead me to believe the manifold/ riser failed, droppin' water into the motor,....
IF it ain't been frozen,....

tpenfield

Staff member
+1 ^^^ since we are past the first freeze in many areas of the country/continent I am wondering the same thing as Bondo.

Tell us where you are located and have the temps gotten down into the mid-low 20's F (-5 C) . . .

Why do you think it make be a head gasket or manifold gasket? Another possibility would be exhaust gasket and water got down into the exhaust manifolds during the last time used and sat there, draining into the cylinders and downward during storage.

Some things that you can do to better diagnose would be a cylinder leak test or better yet, a cooling system pressure test.

Then there is the obvious stuff, like water dripping from the engine, etc.

At this point more information would be needed to narrow things down.

bcron

Recruit
Thanks No it has not froze up her yet in Boulder City. It is stored in a garage also so don't think that is problem. Exhaust riser gasket sounds about right or rusted manifold as it is a 1997. Will do the tests and see.

Mercruiser420

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Take your spark plugs out and look at them and do a leak down test to make sure your engine is tight before you start spending money