Advice requested before Oil Pan replace

dmillerss

Cadet
My 2003 Glastron with a Mercruiser 5.0L has developed a pinhole leak in the oilpan. I'll wait till 2016 to get it replaced, but I assume the engine will need to be pulled. I've had some fuel issues over the season; how much more work would it be to replace the fuel tank while the engine is out, or at least get it cleaned? Are there any other things that should be considered on a boat this old while having the work done?

Thanks as always for your professional advice.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
The fuel tank and engine removal should have nothing to do with each other. More than likely your tank is under your deck. That's a lot of work. You sure the tank needs replacing?

While your engine is out it is a good time to evaluate the various items that are hard to get to - the bilge pump - the transom hydraulic lines, etc. It is also a good time to clean the bilge and paint it if needed.

Before putting the engine back, you might consider adding an oil hose instead of a plug. The type that can be pulled through the bilge drain plug. Makes changing the oil easier. Also consider spraying the bottom end of the engine with a corrosion resistant spray like Boeshield or something similar.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I wouldn't call my advice professional, just experienced cuz I'm old. Some boats have enough room to remove the oil pan in place, but very few.

While the motor is out I would clean and paint the bilge to get rid of all the grunge built up over 12 years.
Replace and possibly upgrade the bilge pump because the pump is often under the motor and a pain to replace. Maybe add a second bilge pump for back up.
Add a remote oil filter for easier and less messy filter changes.
Add a oil drain hose that replaces the drain plug because of less mess and I'm not a fan of the sucking oil through the dipstick.
Check the flappers in the exhaust because the flappers rot out and can block the exhaust.
Replace hoses and belts.
Check the transom to make sure it's solid.
Examine the coupler and gimbal bearing. Probably replace the gimbal just because.
Can't help with the fuel tank removal, I don't know how the tank is placed in your Glastron.

These are some of the things I would consider.

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
A Little story about my previous boat, a 24 foot cuddy. . . when I was in the process of buying it there was oil in the bilge. The dealer/broker said that the oil pan had a pin hole and was scheduled to be replaced by the seller. . . OK, no worries. . . they replace the oil pan, I get the boat . . . but oil still accumulating in the bilge after a while. It turned out to be the gear oil reservoir slowly leaking into the bilge (not the oil pan).

I wonder if the dealer mis-diagnosed it originally and stuck the seller with an unnecessary repair :noidea: .

So, I would make sure it is the oil pan and not something else. As far as the fuel tank goes, It is a big job to remove a fuel tank, and may rival the cost of removing & reinstalling the engine for the oil pan replacement.

Do you know if it is an aluminum or plastic tank? If aluminum, is it foamed in?

did you get a price on the total cost of replacing the oil pan?

Last edited: