2001 mercruiser 3.0L alpha one with stiff steering (non-power)

Maguyak

Cadet
2001 mercruiser 3.0L alpha one with stiff (non-power) steering. I took the clevis pin out and the steering wheel turns easily. I greased the pin and the outside of the cable guide tube. This improved things about 25%. I do not know how to remove the guide tube. Do I have to detach something at the helm?
Also, are there grease points on the lower unit that need attention for this problem?

Rick Stephens

Admiral
With the steering cable disconnected at the transom, is the gimbal hard to turn? If so, then you may be tearing the gimbal housing apart to get to the upper and lower pivot. I don't think they have grease fittings on a 2001.

Bondo

Staff member
I greased the pin and the outside of the cable guide tube. This improved things about 25%. I do not know how to remove the guide tube.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... The problem is usually Inside the guide tube,....

With the pin out, loosen, the big nut holdin' the cable in the tube, 'n pull the cable out,....

Maguyak

Cadet
Thanks guys. Which big nut holds the cable? I tried to upload a picture but it was an epic fail.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
The nut at the end of the plastic cable housing is the one you need to loosen. The clevis pin holds the cable end in the tube. On mine, when the lube was like dried up caulking, it took some good jerks to get the cable end out of the tube housing.

steering.jpg

Maguyak

Cadet
Thanks. Once the cable is out is it necessary to also remove the guide tube to clean it? I am imagining leaving it in place and running something through it like you would clean a rifle barrel.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Do it in place. A little carb cleaner and a rag to push through.

Note: the big nuts holding the cable guide tube have very specific torque settings and thread lock applied. If they are loosened you will want to redo it according to manufacturer recommendations.

Screen Shot 2015-11-27 at 11.03.20 AM.png

Bondo

Staff member
and running something through it like you would clean a rifle barrel.

Ayuh,... A 20ga. or 4-10 shotgun barrel brush would be 'bout the right size too,.....

Maguyak

Cadet
Unfortunately this was unsuccessful. The guide tube was clean. Looks like it's on to the upper and lower pivot.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
So then how would you know if it is a steering cable issue or a Frozen U joint issue?
the upper pin rides in a plain brass bushing and the lower is a plain bushing or thin needle bearings. neither one should allow the drive to get that tight.

Last edited:

Maguyak

Cadet
I definitely would not have known. I was starting with the steering cable hoping that would solve it. Now that the problem persists does it tell me it is the u joint? It does steer, it is just to hard.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
you need to shift into fwd, remove 6 nuts, the rams and pull the drive off to verify where the trouble is