Weatherstripping adhesive or bellows adhesive for drive o-ring seals?

wisebob

Seaman
I've seen weatherstripping adhesive and bellows adhesive both being mentioned to hold down the o-ring seals before putting the drive back on the bell housing.
Which one is better or is there something else cleaner to use later in removal?

thanks.

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
I just use a small amount of marine grease to hold the o-rings in place. I found that using adhesives can be a problem coming off.

Fun Times

Staff member
Unfortunately all adhesives can be time consuming to clean off.:(

Mercruisers recommendation for best holding power would be to us Quicksilver bellows adhesive part number 92-86166-1 superseded to 92-86166Q1 which is also equivalent to 3M adhesive Scotch-Weld Nitrile #847.

iboats offers adhesive as well.:)
http://www.iboats.com/Bellows-Adhesive-Sierra/dm/view_id.172497

QUICKSILVER - Marine Parts & Accessories Mercury Marine MSDS 029-0302
Material Safety Data Sheet

PRODUCT : 3M(TM) Scotch-Weld(TM) Nitrile High Performance Rubber and Gasket Adhesive
NAME: Quicksilver Bellows Adhesive
PART Numbers: 92-16556, 92-86166 1, 92-86166Q 1
DIVISION: Mercury Marine W6250 W. Pioneer Rd. Fond du Lac, WI 54935

Other adhesives that you can find in the local auto stores will work fine too.

superbenk

Commander
I've used gasket adhesive but was going to suggest trying a dab of grease instead as has been mentioned. I think that's what I'll try next time.

Another thought is a dab of rubber cement or similar that can rub off later easily.

Bondo

Staff member
I've used gasket adhesive but was going to suggest trying a dab of grease instead as has been mentioned. I think that's what I'll try next time.

Another thought is a dab of rubber cement or similar that can rub off later easily.

Ayuh,..... Don S never liked me mentionin' that, he Always said to use bellows cement, or any other Glue ya got handy,....

The object is to hold the o-ring, in-place, til the drive is slid on, then it can't go anywhere, No problem,...

I have No problem gettin' the drive stabbed with just the surface tension of plain ole Grease holdin' the o-ring, in-place, which My tool bucket always has in it(Grease), where Don 'S tool bucket, Always had a bottle of bellows cement in it,...

Of course, Don S was right, as usual,....
Many posters wrestle the drive on, 'n are more apt to knock the o-ring outa place doin' it,...
Ditto the Big square o-ring,.....

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
bellows adhesive,contact cement,weatherstripping adhesive.All are pretty much the same,coat both surfaces ,wait a minute and it sticks.The cleanup next year should be the most difficult task you have on your boat and you will be doing great.Charlie

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I never use adhesive on either the o-ring or big square ring. a little grease keeps them in place fine for me. Never lost one yet.

thumpar

Admiral
I just use a small amount of marine grease to hold the o-rings in place. I found that using adhesives can be a problem coming off.

That is how I did it on my alpha and now on my bravo.

Last edited: