Does shift cable slide along front of shift boot or held in place with the clamp/tie?

wisebob

Seaman
Just wondering the proper movement of the shift cable outer casing relative to the front of the shift boot (small end) as you move the motor trim up and down. Is it supposed to stay in place with the metal clamp or cable tie? If it is supposed to stay in place, would there be anything wrong with putting some perfect seal inside where you clamp it down to achieve a better water seal?

If the shift cable actually slides back and forth on the front of the boot as trim is adjusted, it would seem to me that water would get into the boot?

Thanks,
bob

JustJason

Vice Admiral
The bellow is not supposed to slide. Use a hose clamp on the transom side along with a little bellows glue or power tune (not perfect seal). On the other end, use a sta strap and cinch that with a zip tie gun. When you are installing the bellow, turn the drive all the way to the left for better access. But also pull the front of the bellow out a little bit is it's in an extended position.

thumpar

Admiral
The cable casing should not move. When I did my bellows I used a zip tie doubled over on the drive side of the bellows.

wisebob

Seaman
Ok so I take it the way it works is that the cable casing is fixed and held in place by the front of the shift bellows. So, when you tilt or turn the motor, the bellows is elongating or compressing and the cable in the motor box is moving a bit back and forth?

If this is the case, would it hurt to put some perfect seal between the cable and inside the front of the shift bellows where you clamp down? Seems like it would give you a better seal unless the perfect seal would make the cable slide instead?

Last edited:

wisebob

Seaman
Thumper, thanks. I know bellows adhesive on the transom side. I was referring to the drive side of the boot. Seems like nothing goes there other than the clamp/cable tie? Was looking to try and get a better water seal.

Thanks.

thumpar

Admiral
Thumper, thanks. I know bellows adhesive on the transom side. I was referring to the drive side of the boot. Seems like nothing goes there other than the clamp/cable tie? Was looking to try and get a better water seal.

Thanks.
Yep, just a clamp on the drive side. You can use the metal ring clamp or the zip tie doubled up. If you go with the zip tie use a quality one.