Stuck Oil Filter Nightmare!

thumpar

Admiral
Not so much the size, but the fact that the rubber gasket swells a little bit when it absorbs oil. So if you tried backing it off immediately after putting it on, it will easily spin off. Now let the oil filter sit on the engine for a season, and the gasket is significantly larger than before. That translates to an oil filter that is much tighter.
I kind count on 1 hand the times that I have not changed the oil/filter on one of my vehicles over the past 21 years. I have always oiled the filters before install but don't crank them down. Snug it up and then turn it 1/2 turn and it will come right off.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I kind count on 1 hand the times that I have not changed the oil/filter on one of my vehicles over the past 21 years. I have always oiled the filters before install but don't crank them down. Snug it up and then turn it 1/2 turn and it will come right off.

I too change my own oil and filters for various reasons. And not once have I had any issue removing the previously installed oil filter. If you don't crank down on them and simply install them, like stated in the installation instructions, then you don't have any problems removing them. JMHO!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Been a week, was wondering if you got it off there yet?

chilltech

Seaman Apprentice
Try an axle socket from advance auto, may get lucky. Other wise I'd be looking at modifying a socket with a grinder to make pins on the edge of the working end of the socket to fit into the holes of the remaining piece. Good luck

funk6294

Petty Officer 1st Class
Do you have an air chisel? You might be able to put the corner of the but into one of the holes and see if the repeated hammering will break it loose. Works well for removing prop locks.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Let's put the pics in the thread so people can see. You have a mess on your hands.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Hate to say it, but if you expect to spend more than another 2 hours on it cussing at the location, it will take less time to pull the motor, fix the problem, and put the motor back in. That is a really simple exercise.

Rick

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I honestly can't tell from the shots, but is that oil section removable from the block? If so, I know what I would be doing. If not, manufacture a three pronged adapter and force it off. Then replace it with a divorced oil setup. They sell such remote oil location kits. To get the proper measurement for the three prong adapter tool, buy another same type oil filter and use it as a go by pattern to manufacture your unique tool. Easy Peasy! JMHO!

Bondo

Staff member
Hate to say it, but if you expect to spend more than another 2 hours on it cussing at the location, it will take less time to pull the motor, fix the problem, and put the motor back in. That is a really simple exercise.

Rick

Ayuh,.... I gotta agree with Rick,..... All the "Tricks" have been posted,....

Ya either build a pin wrench, 'n figure out how to turn it,....
Or,...
Pull the motor,....

In a shop with air tools, that's 'bout a 20 minute job,...

tpenfield

Staff member
Based on the circle with the arrows you drew, it is still hard to tell if you are trying to turn the base plate of the filter clock-wise (tighten) or counter clock-wise (loosen) as you look up at it (which I know you can only do with a camera) :noidea:

GA_Boater

Based on the circle with the arrows you drew, it is still hard to tell if you are trying to turn the base plate of the filter clock-wise (tighten) or counter clock-wise (loosen) as you look up at it (which I know you can only do with a camera) :noidea:

In an earlier post the OP said he was trying to turn the wrong way, so it has been tightened even more before the casing was destroyed.

Short of buying the same brand of original filter and making a sturdy pin wrench to fit the 5 holes, pulling the motor is about all that's left.

tpenfield

Staff member
In an earlier post the OP said he was trying to turn the wrong way, so it has been tightened even more before the casing was destroyed.

Short of buying the same brand of original filter and making a sturdy pin wrench to fit the 5 holes, pulling the motor is about all that's left.

Yup, or at least take the exhaust manifold off to get better access

GA_Boater

Yup, or at least take the exhaust manifold off to get better access

There is that. It does look like that might give some room to work even judging by the fairly close up pics.

If this were my boat, it would getting a remote oil filter.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Compared to my boat, that is tons of room. Getting your starter out will probably be harder than getting this off still.

I would be pulling the manifold way before I pulled the engine. In fact, I would be pulling that manifold anyway to pull the engine so might as well start with that.

Send me the exact oil filter and I will weld you up a tool that you could take that off in a second with a 1/2" socket drive.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Compared to my boat, that is tons of room. Getting your starter out will probably be harder than getting this off still.

I would be pulling the manifold way before I pulled the engine. In fact, I would be pulling that manifold anyway to pull the engine so might as well start with that.

Send me the exact oil filter and I will weld you up a tool that you could take that off in a second with a 1/2" socket drive.

I would have welded up a tool for that effort in a heart beat if I were faced with it. Done that before and will again. :thumb: