Seems like lower unit was smoking & a film of oil behind lower unit while in water

al1026

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Seems like lower unit was smoking & a film of oil behind lower unit while in water

Due too a steering cable and rebuilding helm have not used my boat in months.
Yesterday I took it out for a short spin.
Keeping it slow and close too dock in our local river here in Florida
Steering was good and boat seemed too perform good.
All of a sudden seemed as though there was exhaust smoke and noticed a film of oil coming from rear

Engine is a 1984 mercruiser 488 ( 4 cylinder )
Self contained cooling
Alpha 1

Took boat home

Thinking too myself, this has too be a oil leak hitting something too smoke ? No burning oil smell or rubber smell .
First attempt was too check lower unit fluid level making sure water or oil did not leak out but lower nut head was a bit stripped and not too damage left it for daylight .
Checked engine oil was fine no water
Checked power steering fluid full
Did not check trim & tilt motor . ( looked around lower unit and trim & tilt oil hoses seemed dry of oils ) but my trim up solenoid crapped out and had too jump wiring too get it up . ?? )

What does a smoking from lower unit and oil slick from rear end seem like ????

Thanks

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Start with obvious stuff, As far as the oil slick, It could be a trim line is leaking. Or what color was the smoke? It's possible you developed a carb issue, and it's dumping to much fuel, and not burning it all, just blowing it out the exhaust.

al1026

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I thought the same carb dumping fuel.
Soon as I finish this reply, I am going out too boat, start it up, put on hose , hopefully I can see something .?.

Want too check lower unit gear oil condition, making sure no water mixing in or oil out,
Trim & tilt lines and levels